Author Topic: how difficult would it be to set up pics of all models of douglas  (Read 8537 times)

Offline trevorp

• Master Member
wondering if we all got our scanners out if we could compile a page showing all models
i am at present working on a page to list douglas milestones any suggestions we can keep adding and i think 2 pages as a reference would be helpfull to all

Offline Dave

• Administrator
That's a good idea Trevor and not too difficult. In fact we probably have quite a collection of pictures already on this server – it’s just a matter of going through all the posts, copying the links (using right click) and then posting them in some new topics.

I started doing this last year, but ran out of steam. But if a few of us tackled it, it wouldn’t be such a big job. Each person could have a group of posts to go through and pull out the links. If anyone would like to volunteer to help out with this exercise, please post a message below.

Perhaps we could follow Doug’s Identifying Douglas Motorcycles format and have three sections

• Pre-1926
  • 1926 – 1930’s
  • Post War

Initially we could sort the pictures into these groups and if it needs breaking down further, do that as a second step.

Here’s a sample picture from the General Discussion forum.

Here’s how you copy the URL for this picture into a new topic.

Internet Explorer

Right click on the picture, choose "Properties" and the URL appears in the middle where it says “Address” . Now double click on the URL and it will be highlighted. Then right click again and choose “Copy”. Now you have the URL on your clipboard and can paste it into a new topic.

Firefox

It’s even easier with the Firefox browser. Right click on the photo, choose “Copy Image Location” and that’s it – the URL is on your clipboard ready to be pasted somewhere else.

Pasting the image

You navigate to the place where you want to post the picture (or you can paste it temporarily into Notepad), right click and choose “Paste”. The URL will be pasted into the post like this.

https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/aa-files/images/ian/2006/20060203-NRMADouglas-3-420w.jpg

Then, to make it display as a picture, you just highlight the whole line (being careful not to have any extra spaces at the beginning or end of the line), then click on the Insert Image button which is second from the left on the second row of icons in the Post Message window.

This will add the IMG tags to the URL and it will now display as a picture.

So that's one way we could kick-start the collection - then add new scans to this base. But we'd need a few people to get through all the posts without going mad. So if you're interested in helping out, please post below. We'll get a team together, work out a plan and get started.

Dave

« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2006 at 02:05 by Dave »

Offline trevorp

• Master Member
id be happy to do some i have a few post war pics of nearly all models plus ive got about 100 other pics taken from ebay etc
ive already started the douglas milestones but will require some time to finish as there are a lot of awards to wade thru and im sure there are a lot more

Offline MichielH

• homepage of the dutch VMC
I'll gladly  :lol: take care of the pre-1912 models (maybe even including The Fairy?)

Michiel

Offline Dave

• Administrator
Michiel,

You're most welcome to post any photos in the Photo Guide to Douglas Motorcycles by Model. The pre-1912 models could go in the 1907-1926 2-3/4hp (all variants) sub-forum.

Dave