Author Topic: Restoring Douglas SW5. - brake drum plates  (Read 3434 times)

Offline BARRYM

Restoring Douglas SW5. - brake drum plates
« on: 15 Sep 2010 at 11:02 »
Hello everyone this is my first posting. Were the aluminium brake drum plates on SW5 painted black ? All of my ones have little traces of black on them, despite in just about all photos they are polished Aluminium. Were these brake parts common to other Douglas of the period and that is the reason for the black paint traces?
One more thing for now; were the footrests common to other models? My frame is very definetley an original two footrest frame but I am lacking one footrest so do I seek an original SW5 one or do others from other models fit? Thanks

Offline roy

Re: Restoring Douglas SW5. - brake drum plates
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2010 at 14:27 »
Hi BARRYM,
First and foremost it would be helpful to members if you could give your location, the reason being that as we are world wide there may be someone near you who may contact you and maybe offer individual help.
Roy.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Restoring Douglas SW5. - brake drum plates
« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2010 at 01:46 »
Barry,

Douglas did use the same backing plate, or with subtle variations, on other models from 1925 to 1938. Some of which were painted black. So far as I know, they were not painted on the DT or SW models.

The footrest were pretty much the same as fitted to the other 1926-29 models. These had a foot peg that was tubular, brazed into the crank arm. There were long and short arms, and different offsets or joggles depending on model. The DT footrest shared the same part number with that fitted to the 600EW. 

I suspect towards the end of production the factory started providing for foot rest on both sides. But there are a lot of clever and original looking conversions of DTs to SWs. The best way to tell a SW5 from a DT is the footrests on the speedway are further back on the frame engine rails. Almost right back against the frame lugs for the uprights. The DT footrest(s) are further forward, almost seven inches forward of the tube of the uprights. Also the speedway footrest on the right-hand side had provision for the rear brake pedal.

-Doug