Author Topic: Leather toolbox front  (Read 489 times)

Offline Marcus

Leather toolbox front
« on: 07 Apr 2024 at 05:09 »
Hi,
I have made some new sheet metal toolboxes for my TS and now need the leather fronts as shown in the photo below. I have a saddler who will make them but we are not sure what they look like inside. Is anyone able to post some photos with them open or even better not fitted to the toolbox please.

Many Thanks
Marcus

Offline Red

Re: Leather toolbox front
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2024 at 15:42 »
Hi Marcus

These are photos of the leather tool boxes fitted to my1926 EW but I think the design is pretty standard. The other photo is of a leather tool box I made for my 1936 Aero 600. In fact I made two as my son has a 1936 Aero 500. Cost me about £15 each in materials which I got of eBay. Never done any leather work before, but I thought it was worth a go.

Offline Marcus

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2024 at 23:14 »
Hi Red,
Thank you very much for taking those photos, I now know how it should be.

I had assumed that it was just a front on the steel toolbox and inside would be the sheetmetal but it is clearly a complete leather box inside and out.

Cheers

Marcus

Offline EW-Ron

« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2024 at 05:41 »
What actually retains the leather inside the tin box ?

Offline Red

« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2024 at 09:21 »
Ron
If you look at the one I made you can just see 2 round headed screws through the top of the metal box and these pass through the leather straps and the top of the leather box keeping it in place. There are two further screws on the underside of the box. On my EW there are also a couple of rivets through the sides of the metal box and through the leather but I didn't think these were necessary. Hope that helps?

Roy