Author Topic: MK4 front mudguard issue  (Read 1906 times)

Offline Theo

MK4 front mudguard issue
« on: 12 Nov 2018 at 07:34 »
Hello folks, I am new to the forum and to Douglas ownership after purchasing a MK from Bristol a few weeks ago. I am delighted with the bike but have a couple of issues.

The bike is generally in good condition but doesn’t appear to be charging (at least that’s what the ammeter shows) the second issue I have is that the strange and rather complex front mudguard / forks / brake plate set up appears to be so worn that the mudguard flops around both back and forth and also side to side. My father who owned one years ago is certain that this isn’t how they are supposed to be.
Can anyone please offer some advice on how I can check the Dynamo and any assistance on who can help with repairing the mudguard and fittings?
Thank you in advance.
Regards
Ivan

Offline yosemite

Re: MK4 front mudguard issue
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2018 at 20:16 »
john holmes has a guide which should help with the front guard issues ( as well as other maintenance and helpful hints)
https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/aa-files/documents/2016/Mark-Series-Maintenance-Guide-2012.pdf
as for the  electrical problems if the dynamo hasn,t been used for a while it may need "flashed" you can do this by disconnecting both the dand f connections from the back of the dynamo and then taking a wire fromthe positive battery terminal (bike should be negative earth) and "flashing"it to the f terminal, that is brushing it over the terminal two or three times until you see a small blue spark, then reconnect your d and f connections and see if that has fixed the problem.

Offline Theo

« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2018 at 21:27 »
Thank you so much for your reply. I have flashed the dynamo on other bikes and will give this a try.

With regard to the front mudguard, I have read the article the link sent me to and I can see there are a few steps that need to be taken that are I am afraid, a little complex for me to carry out. Do you know of anyone who is able and or willing to carry out this sort of work?
Thanks again
Cheers
Theo

Offline phil1

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2018 at 18:33 »
Hi Theo have just read your request. It seems that you may need technical assistance. I have just completed my MarkV re-build and have experienced the same problems as yourself. I would be able to help you but unfortunately I live in Buckinghamshire. Maybe you would be able to come to me. Regards Phil 1