Author Topic: POST WAR SINGLE CYLINDER INDUSTRIAL ENGINES  (Read 8068 times)

Offline oil baron

POST WAR SINGLE CYLINDER INDUSTRIAL ENGINES
« on: 18 Mar 2012 at 03:07 »
Hi There - Recently came across a brochure for single cylinder air cooled industrial engines.  The brochure reference which missed the scan reads TH 1444/5m/2/47, which I take to be published in Feb. 1947.  The photos of single cylinder engines on this site show differences in the crankcase etc.  I wonder if any engines of this pattern were built or did they only appear in print!  Regards  Steve L.

Larger view

Larger view

Larger view

Larger view
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2012 at 22:28 by Dave »
Steve L

Offline oil baron

Re: POST WAR SINGLE CYLINDER INDUSTRIAL ENGINES
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2012 at 06:31 »
Sorry about the post. I have not managed to get the attachments the right way round, my apologies, Maybe Dave can work his magic  Regards Steve L
Steve L

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2012 at 18:45 »
Steve,

Thanks very much for posting the brochure. If you have larger copies of the original scans, we can make the "Larger view" versions easier to read. Please mail them to the address shown in this topic.

Thanks again, Dave

Updated details for emailing photos - Dave, 11Feb2021
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2021 at 21:38 by Dave »

Offline pryfield

« Reply #3 on: 02 May 2012 at 06:38 »
Hi Steve - that's a very nice brochure that you have.  To answer your question, these single cylinder Douglas engines were definitely produced in significant numbers post war. They were available in  450, 540 and 630cc versions, with several different configurations. most were straight petrol, some petrol/kero (TVO) and some with gear reduction drive. They were usually sold to manufacturers in batches (Trusty Tractors is one and here in southern Australia, a number were sold to a Company named MORTON who fitted them to swingsaws). If you go to website www.duster.org.uk, you will find out more about these. I have collected several of these Douglas engines over the years. They are 'over engineered' extremely robust, very heavy, but a very reliable stationary engine. Hope I have been of some help. Regards Nev