Author Topic: 1930s splined brake operating levers  (Read 716 times)

Offline saluki42

1930s splined brake operating levers
« on: 19 Jun 2023 at 10:30 »
Hi I've just started sorting out ready to fit the first of the wheels for my model Z. The problem I have is  I only have one of the splined, drum mounted, brake operating levers which turns out to be for the front wheel only. I was wondering if anybody has any details of the dimensions of the smaller rear leaver they could let me have so I can either make one myself or get one made for me.

Regards
Chris

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: 1930s splined brake operating levers
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2023 at 14:03 »
I have a OW1 and a 600 Aero, both of which seem to use the same heavy, joggled rear brake lever. I have not yet compared them side to side. I do not have a lot of good pictures of the Z/Z1, but it does seem to use the same joggled lever. I could do a drawing of what I have. The part number for the Aero rear operating lever does date to c1936, so suggestive there is some, perhaps minor, difference about it. So the 1934-35 OW1 might be a better choice.

-Doug

Offline saluki42

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2023 at 16:18 »
Thanks for the quick response  Doug, if I'm trying to fit the level through the correct hole in the frame. similar to the front the diameter differs by around 1/32". The splines themselves seem to be the same or at least within a few thou, it's  the the parallel diameter which differ. I think by measuring the difference in hole diameters I should be able to sort something out and get something machined to suit.
Thanks for again for the response, oh and following from a comment re the wheels some time ago black around the spoke holes with a 3mm Royal blue pin strip looks lovely.

Chris

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2023 at 18:21 »
Chris,

The journal diameter for the front and rear brake operating arm is the same, 5/8 inch. I believe the shaft was unchanged from 1925-38, just the arm changed depending on year/model.

The offset/joggle is 5/8 inch outward to clear the frame lug, and the centers distance is about 2-1/8 inch.

-Doug

Offline saluki42

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2023 at 10:15 »
Hi Doug, Just had a better chance to check the brake actuator fitments and as usual your right, 5/8" diameter for front bushed journal and actuator.  Regarding the rear brake, I was trying to fit the actuator through the wrong part of the  frame, the hole just in front of the chain adjustment slot as attachment. I still have a couple of queries though, the clearance between the actuator diameter and the slot it passes through is nearly 1/4" ,which seems excessive, should this be bushed in some way? and also the lever on the actuator is flat with no off set,  bearing in mind this all came with the jigsaw puzzle I bought with lots of odd and extra bits, I wonder if making one new actuator I instead make two both with the required off set.

Regards
Chris

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2023 at 15:49 »
Chris,

You are missing the sliding bush.

They used the same part from the EW to 1938, #7954 for the bush, #8348 for the nut, and #7955 for the washer. So plenty of models to find a donor from.

Actually, it looks like I did a drawing for these so if you don't find them in you bits & bobs I can email you a PDF.

Also looks like I started a drawing for the operating arm for my 1934--35 OW1, and the joggle offset on that is 1/4 inch compared to the 5/8 inch of the Aero (these pics are Aero bits). So you will probably have to do a mock-up on your frame to see what would best align with the brake pedal for a Z/Z1.

-Doug