Author Topic: Aero 600 parts question  (Read 695 times)

Offline Tazmantic

Aero 600 parts question
« on: 13 Jun 2023 at 15:26 »
Hi really struggling to find these parts as they’re not listed on the prewar parts list could any of the s6, ew etc parts be the same?? Or where can I find parts list for other bikes to try cross reference please.

18471 crank pin bush
18523 set screw (securing webs)
16832 locking washer for screws

Thanks Neil

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Aero 600 parts question
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2023 at 05:08 »
The London Douglas Motor Cycle Club sell reprints of various spares lists, see their website for Shop items or any current issue of the Club magazine The New ConRod.

I had a look in my S6 spares list, and none of those numbers cross reference. Most of the new S6 part numbers are in the 111xxx to 112xxx range, so unlikely to find anything numbered much higher that far back. If Douglas could have reused it they typically did and kept the number. It might a gain suffix to indicate a revision, such as 11155-2 (S6 crank pin bush) that was otherwise backwards compatible. Getting into the mid-thirties models, spares lists seem non-existent and Douglas might not have gotten around to printing any. There were too many models and not enough money.

The 1934-35 Wessex and Powerflow were derivatives of the S6 engine, so probably had a crank pin bush to suit. The Aero crank was based on the Blue Chief/Endeavour engines; quite rare models. Those had oil fed through the crank, so the bush might not have been exactly the same; though it might have been something as simple as an aperture to let the oil out. Blue Chief numbers are in the 165xxx-168xxx range (roughly), so the locking tab washer dates from that time.

Generally, with the less prolific Douglas models, spares are only obtainable by cannibalizing or making your own (or paying someone).

-Doug

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2023 at 11:07 »
Neil,
        Factory drawings do survive for part numbers 18471(crankpin bush), and 18523 (crankpin set screw)  However, drawing 18523 is heavily soiled and some detail is not very clear. I could not find any reference to a drawing for locking washer 16832.

Regards,
                 Eddie.

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2023 at 12:44 »
Thanks for the replies Doug and Eddie, are these drawings available to download somewhere?

Cheers Neil

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2023 at 15:47 »
Yes,
      I believe the Club has an electronic copy of the surviving drawings. Dave Lawrence will probably be able to help out with more details of how you obtain a copy of individual drawings.

Regards,
                 Eddie.

Offline Tazmantic

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2023 at 18:44 »
Thank you Eddie much appreciated as always

Neil