Author Topic: What kind of fuel nut for this Binks?  (Read 767 times)

Offline Tim OConnor

What kind of fuel nut for this Binks?
« on: 07 Oct 2022 at 13:00 »
I have this spare carburetor, it’s a binks I think for 1925 model?

I’d like to get it working to troubleshoot my 1920 AMAC carb or at least to use it until a get a good working AMAC.

However, I can’t find anything to fit the float chamber.

I bought a BSP 3/8 inch pipe union nut but the threads aren’t quite right (will turn on but you can tell the thread shape is not right) and it looks like the bottom of the carb is not made for a pipe spigot.

Does anyone know what should fit this and where I might find it? Is it possible that it is an NPT thread?
1920 2 3/4 W-20

Offline Darryl

Re: What kind of fuel nut for this Binks?
« Reply #1 on: 07 Oct 2022 at 19:58 »
Tim
I found a nut that fitted at www.Racingvincent.co.uk in the Douglas section
Regards
Darryl

Offline Tim OConnor

« Reply #2 on: 08 Oct 2022 at 02:18 »
The only one I could find was for the AMAC carb.

Do you have a direct link or part number?

Tim
I found a nut that fitted at www.Racingvincent.co.uk in the Douglas section
Regards
Darryl
1920 2 3/4 W-20

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
« Reply #3 on: 08 Oct 2022 at 03:19 »
I’d like to get it working to troubleshoot my 1920 AMAC carb or at least to use it until a get a good working AMAC.

Hi Tim,
Seems like a very complicated plan. Surely getting an incomplete and unknown Binks to work on your bike is a lot harder than sorting the complete and correct carb you have on the bike already?
My experience with AMACs and B&Bs of the teens and twenties is that they will generally work "ok" even if a bit worn and/or a bit off optimum tune (main jet size, fuel level, etc.). Yep your bike is not running very well, but there are probably ten things to check before I'd even be certain that your problem is carburettor.
Cheers
Leon

Offline Tim OConnor

« Reply #4 on: 08 Oct 2022 at 11:41 »
Agreed, however, the BINKS is rebuilt and like new and is complete other than the fuel nut for the float bowl.

Larger jet sizes don't seem to be doing the job and there are no apparent air leaks.

The mixture works well and the throttle will stall the engine with anything more than a crack. The throttle slide is loose in the carb body of the AMAC.

Tossing on the BINKS should not only give me some idea if the problem is carb related but also give me a spare should I ever need it.

If you have other ideas for items for me to check, I would appreciate it.

Hi Tim,
Seems like a very complicated plan. Surely getting an incomplete and unknown Binks to work on your bike is a lot harder than sorting the complete and correct carb you have on the bike already?
My experience with AMACs and B&Bs of the teens and twenties is that they will generally work "ok" even if a bit worn and/or a bit off optimum tune (main jet size, fuel level, etc.). Yep your bike is not running very well, but there are probably ten things to check before I'd even be certain that your problem is carburettor.
Cheers
Leon
1920 2 3/4 W-20