Author Topic: Drain hole on engine S6  (Read 2711 times)

Offline douglas1947

• Master Member
Drain hole on engine S6
« on: 29 May 2017 at 12:11 »
Is the oil drain hole (right from oilpump at timing chest bottom) original or a modification?
I understand the manual, that there is an other drain hole in the case near the cam follower, front cylinder.

Michael

Offline Bert

Re: Drain hole on engine S6
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2017 at 01:01 »
My T6 doesn't have the hole in the bottom of the timing chest. Only the factory one near the cam follower. When I first opened the chest I thought it would leave too much oil in the chest but now think it is so the timing gears will pick it up and fling it about. There are other threads on the forum with photos of the chest area and none that I have found show the additional hole like yours. 

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2017 at 03:19 »
Michael,

The two S6 engines that I have do not have that hole in the floor of the timing chest. I think it is someone's miss-guided attempt at improving the oil circuit. Typical Douglas practice was to allow the oil level in the timing chest to rise until the lowest gear in the timing train dipped into the oil. Then the oil either went over a weir to a segregated portion of the timing chest or through a hole into the crankcase. The hole in the floor of the timing chest seems to me would interfere with the timing chest filling to the proper level.

-Doug

[Fix typo. 31May17 -Doug]
« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2017 at 01:40 by Doug »

Offline douglas1947

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2017 at 10:28 »
Thanks for the answers.

So I will close the hole with a plug!

Michael

Offline douglas1947

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 06 Aug 2017 at 16:36 »
Hi,
I want to tell, the closing of the hole was Not a success!
The engine was blowing lots of oil throug the timing case gasket.

I thougt, I had made a mistake by timing the breather - but everything was allright!!!

I the end I found out, someone had closed the breather hole on the drive side of the engine with the gasket.
It was possible to open the way from timing side throug the crankcase without open the engine.

So someone had bored the hole in the timing case for stopping oil leakage.
The symptom was eleminated, but not the reason!

Michael