Author Topic: Introducing myself  (Read 5249 times)

Offline Gabriel

• "Douglas (Registro Argentina)" on Facebook
Introducing myself
« on: 27 Aug 2015 at 18:52 »
Hello All,
I'm a new member in the forum but a long time owner of three T35 Mk3 in my native Argentina.
I live in UK since 2003 and I'm based in Chichester, West Sussex.
I've been working on a research from the last 3 years in my country trying to find how many survivors of Mk3's are still alive there.
The actual result is impressive. I have accounted nealry 60 Mk3s!
That counts between bikes in working order, under restoration and solo engines.
I would like to share my experience in the forum to learn more about the history of all the Douggies that went to Argentina between 1947 and 1949.
As being new into the forum I don't know if this message will be spread to all the members.
All the best
Gabriel
Dear all,
I am from Argentina and a long time owner of 3 different Mk3 in Buenos Aires city.
I started 5 years ago to work on searching how many post war Mk3s survivors are still in the whole country.
I've got more than 120 bikes and still counting

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2015 at 01:47 »
Welcome Gabriel,

The Douglas Motorcycle Forum is an open Forum in that you do not need to be a member of any motorcycle club, just have an interest in Douglas motorcycles. So anyone that visits the Forum will see your post, and if they are registered with the Forum, can reply.

While the Forum is a completely separate entity from the London Douglas Motor Cycle Club (LDMCC), quite a few LDMCC members are registered and contribute to the posts. A few years ago the LDMCC did a article in their club magazine the New ConRod about how many export models were shipped out to the various countries based on the postwar factory dispatch records. It would take some digging to find the issue, but I do recall that quite a number (somewhere around fifty?) did go to South America.

-Doug

Addendum 31Aug15. Estimate for number exported woefully inadequate. See subsequent post. -Doug
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2015 at 15:04 by Doug »

Offline Gabriel

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2015 at 14:02 »
Hello Doug,
Thanks for your welcoming words.
I really would like to share my results while I keep searching for more machines in my native Argentina.
My Mk3 is a Standard model under restoration. The engine number is T35/S 4804/3.
I'm trying to find somebody in Uk who can help me to know how many Dougies went to Argentina from 1947 to 1950.
Most of them were Mk3 both Standrd and Sport and very few were T35s (Mk1).
I know the main importer was a Company called Justo Hnos. based in Buenos Aires Capital.
Any help to find that information will be grateful.
Many thanks
Gabriel
Dear all,
I am from Argentina and a long time owner of 3 different Mk3 in Buenos Aires city.
I started 5 years ago to work on searching how many post war Mk3s survivors are still in the whole country.

Offline douglas1947

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2015 at 17:08 »
Hello Gabriel,

I wonder  about so many Douglas T35 sold to Argentina.

Would like also to know about it!!!

Michael

Offline Gabriel

« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2015 at 12:36 »
Hello Michael,
Argentina was very rich on Douggies from 1947 to the end of 1949.
It is said that 10 T35's (Mk1) were imported first but no less than 600'ish Mk3 bikes went to my country.
I'm actually working on the register of the bikes that are spreaded all over our vast country.
I have counted 60 machines at the moment.
If you want to see some images of the bikes there you can visit our group on Facebook "Douglas (Registro Argentina)".
Thanks for your welcoming words.
All the best
Gabriel
Dear all,

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2015 at 14:58 »
Gabriel,

I have located the relevant NCR article. It seems my memory as to quantity was far off. Also it seems you have many, many more to track down!   :)
A summary of factory exports to South America by model:

T35 (Mark 1)   83
Mark 3          659  (of which 601 went to Argentine)
Mark 4            26
Mark 5            60
Comp.              0
80+                19
90+                  6
Dragonfly         9

Further details as to a break down of the state/city for the T35, and thereafter the South American country can be had in the original article. It appeared in the Jan/Feb 1994 NCR issue.

-Doug
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2015 at 16:23 by Doug »

Offline Gabriel

« Reply #6 on: 31 Aug 2015 at 15:39 »
Hi Doug,
Definitely there are much more to track down. I'm working on that at the moment.
It's not an easy task as my country is 11 times bigger than UK in comparisson.
I know there's plenty of them to be discovered.
If I just count 60 between bikes in working order, under restoration and solo engines...I have the feeling I have at least 200% of those 60 still to discover.
In the meantime I would like to know (if possible) the engine number of those Mk1 and Mk3 who were imported and by whom.
2 weeks ago I found a Mk4 in Uruguay in sorry condition.
We keep in touch
Thanks
Gabriel
Dear all,

Offline Gabriel

« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2015 at 15:44 »
Photo taken in 2002.

Here you can see me on my Mk3 Standard (T35-S 5579-3) and my friend Gonzalo on his Mk3 Sport (T35-S 4443-S).
Dear all,

Offline douglas1947

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: 01 Sep 2015 at 05:23 »
Hello Gabriel und Doug,

thanks for the interesting informations!

Michael