Author Topic: Douglas E29 inlet manifold fitting  (Read 3572 times)

Offline davemark

Douglas E29 inlet manifold fitting
« on: 10 Aug 2014 at 08:37 »
Could someone please assist me with some inlet manifold fitting information?
I'm restoring my E29 600 and I would like to know how to fit and seal the manifold to the heads. I have the two ring nuts, but the bore of the nut is much bigger than the reduced ends of the pipe. I guess I need some sort of washer to fit inside the nut and asbestos string or 'O' rings? The pipe obviously needs to be secure to support the carburettor. Any help would be much appreciated.
Regards to all

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Douglas E29 inlet manifold fitting
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2014 at 00:51 »
There is a steel collar that goes between the gland nut and the packing material. The collar protrudes back between the annular gap in the gland nut, taking up the gap you would have noticed. It is about flush with the back of the collar, and made out of spun sheet metal. The idea is you put a little grease between the gland nut and the collar so that the collar stays still and does not drag the packing around. It also gives a broad face for the packing, and helps stop the packing from extruding past the gland nut.

The packing is some sort of string, possibly asbestos in the day, but something that can take about 400-450F I suppose.

-Doug

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2014 at 01:08 »
I knew I had done a sketch of this previously. It can be found in this post:

https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?topic=1786.msg6419#msg6419

-Doug

Offline davemark

« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2014 at 08:27 »
Many thanks for this information, the method is much as I thought, but it's better to get it confirmed by the experts.
Dave