Author Topic: Brass hub  (Read 3957 times)

Offline duggy

Brass hub
« on: 11 Aug 2014 at 01:04 »
Did Douglas use a brass hub at any stage? It does not have Douglas stamped on it. The spokes also have brass nipples cheers :)

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Brass hub
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2014 at 01:14 »
I can not answer for the Fairy models that predate Douglas or the models circa 1910 that used bought-in Chater-Lea hubs, but excluding that they were steel.

-Doug

Offline duggy

« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2014 at 22:41 »
thanks for the reply Doug it must be a replacement hub I guess, I am using it on a TS restoration it looks identical to a steel hub I have thats a bit rusty

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2014 at 00:42 »
No one will know once it is plated or painted, unless the concourse judges are carrying around a small magnet! Just keep an eye on it for distortion around the spokes. Hard to say how strong the brass is, but it is going to distort easier than steel.

-Doug

Offline duggy

« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2014 at 22:34 »
he he I wont be that concerned about the judges it is laced into a rear wheel so if it throws apart from the blinding speed of the TS :) I guess it will be better on the rear.
It is in very good condition so should do the trick rgds Colin

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
« Reply #5 on: 12 Aug 2014 at 22:41 »

Hi Colin,

Pretty weird, a bronze/brass hub. I'm a bit of a wheel person, but I've never seen one.

I recently came across a complete TS wheel, with a boring old Douglas hub with Douglas written on it. Yell if you'd prefer to go down the conventional path.

Cheers

Leon

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 12 Aug 2014 at 23:28 »
Colin,

I was not so much concerned about the terrifying velocity of the TS (Terminal Speed?)   :)

I was thinking more about the tension of the spokes elongating the holes, or distorting the flanges. On the Douglas hub they are quite thin, so if the dimensions are the same, the brass hub would bear watching to make sure it settles in and that the spokes do not slack off.

-Doug

Offline duggy

« Reply #7 on: 14 Aug 2014 at 23:59 »
Hi Leon  you had me thinking when you said you had never seen a brass one so I did a magnet test it, it is steel after all silly me :(  it looks so much like brass it came out of my derusting bath looking yellowish not black grey like the front wheel so weather they may have mixed an alloy maybe? 
Anyway thanks for the offer of a swap cheers Colin.