Author Topic: H28 Value  (Read 10681 times)

Offline moondog

H28 Value
« on: 03 Jul 2008 at 08:33 »
 Hi Guys,
              I have a 600cc H28 with touring sidecar that i am thinking of selling to fund a new project, but have no real idea of it's value. Can anyone help?
              The bike is 99% complete, missing toolboxes, footboard rubbers and carb downtube. Bike has electric lights and twist grip throttle
              Bike was totaly restored about 15 years ago and only covered about 200 miles. It starts 3rd or 4th kick and run's great.
              Sidecar and chassis is in similar condition. Photos available if required. It's only a thought at the moment, but i want to purchase a Vincent project.
                                                                    Many thanks.

« Last Edit: 05 Jul 2008 at 05:20 by Dave »

Offline davebarkshire

• Vintage Motor Cycle Website (and some music)
Re: H28 Value
« Reply #1 on: 04 Jul 2008 at 06:54 »
I'm not sure that anyone can give you much of an estimate without photos. You can post photos on this forum.

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 04 Jul 2008 at 22:35 »
As a guide, I would expect the value here would be anywhere between about $7k and $15k depending on what it is really like - photos would help.

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 05 Jul 2008 at 05:21 »
Photos added to Moondog's post above.

Offline roy

« Reply #4 on: 05 Jul 2008 at 19:30 »
Hi all, please excuse me if I am not correct, but, having seen the photo`s I believe this may be an E28 not H28 model which I think was OHV. Having said that, it looks a first class restoration.  Roy.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 05 Jul 2008 at 20:03 »
Roy,

You are correct. The E/F28 were 600cc side valve machines, and the H/G28 were the OHV (continuation of the OC models.) With foot boards and the touring handlebars, this is likely an E28. Change for drop handlebars and foot pegs, and you would have a F28.

These 600EW are great machines, and I wish mine were as complete (and running) as this one looks to be! But will not fetch as much as the OHV models, understandably.

-Doug

Offline moondog

« Reply #6 on: 06 Jul 2008 at 00:54 »
Hi,
    Thanks guys, E28 it is. I'm not very conversant with Douglas models.  OK now any idea of its value?.

Moondog.

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: 06 Jul 2008 at 09:24 »
Yes well in the recent past there was much amazement on what the same model brought on ebay. I can't remember the exact amount but over 16 k and it was no better, I think,  than yours. There was a sidecar unrestored with it. Now my advise might be a bit cheeky but if you can't get 18 thou borrow the money for the Vincent and keep the Doug. I would sure like the same quality machine in my collection but still waiting for that lotto win????????? regards Alan

Offline roy

« Reply #8 on: 06 Jul 2008 at 10:05 »
Hi, at a recent Bonham's sale (30/6/08) a c1927 EW600cc belonging to the late Professor Ehn Museum, in restored condition made £6,900. Not sure what that is in Aussie money, but allowing for the addition of the sidecar and excellent condition I think Alan's suggestion is the way to go, wish I was in that position, best of luck. Roy.  :D

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #9 on: 06 Jul 2008 at 22:58 »
Having seen the photos I think it is a really nice machine. As Alan says there was one on ebay that amazed us all and went for around $16K. There were obviously a few people wanting it. I think if you advertised in Just Bikes you would get nowhere near that figure - the ebay auction is the way to go if you want the chance of getting big money. I think most people would say it is worth $12-15K with the sidecar but it only takes a couple of people bidding on ebay to go much higher.

Offline Rob

« Reply #10 on: 08 Jul 2008 at 07:45 »
Great photos.

Any chance of these being posted in the "Photo Guide of Douglas Motorcycles by Model" for future reference as there have been few sidecar outfits listed to date?

Rob

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 09 Jul 2008 at 07:35 »
Rob,

Thanks for the suggestion. The photos have been posted.

Dave