Author Topic: dirt track front forks  (Read 4388 times)

Offline william

dirt track front forks
« on: 07 Jun 2008 at 06:15 »
I am having a problem fitting a brake drum hub to dirt track front forks. There is not enough room to fit. The brake drum is rubbing the forks. Any ideas how to solve this problem? 

Offline graeme

• Master Member
Re: dirt track front forks
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jun 2008 at 13:02 »
The dirt track forks are definitely narrower than those fitted to the road models. So I would suggest you will either need to get SW type fork links, which are wider, or make up some spacers to go with your DT fork links and some longer spindles to suit.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: dirt track front forks
« Reply #2 on: 08 Jun 2008 at 04:52 »
I have seen early and late style links, but not yet wide and narrow. Both afore mentioned styles are about 3-3/8" wide, excluding any washers. The SW forks are flatted slightly on the inside to clear the outer edge of the brake drum, and if your brake drum is only fouling by a slight amount this may be all you need to clear. Even so it only just clears. If you are fouling by more than that, it may be that there are various offsets to brake drums, and you have one that is not dished enough. Not sure if Douglas was consistent with the offset; I never had occasion to check before. 

-Doug