Author Topic: Re: TS 1925 - Primary Chain Auto-Oiler  (Read 4983 times)

Offline Clive

Re: TS 1925 - Primary Chain Auto-Oiler
« on: 02 May 2008 at 01:22 »

Note: This photo of Alan's TS 1925 showing the subject oil pipe has been brought forward from the topic '1925 TS Rear Brake' to form a basis for this new topic.
Alwyn

Hi Alan,
Great pictures of your cw, could you tell us please what is the other pipe at the rear of the crankcase breather may be ? and does it have an oil trap?
Regards
Clive 
« Last Edit: 12 May 2008 at 07:12 by alwyn »

Offline Alan

« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2008 at 01:15 »
Clive...desperately trying to remember re the oil pipe but I know it didn't contain an oil trap as such and I don't recall any internal checkvalve configuration, just a small bore ...the unit came with and was certainly of the same period as the 24 TS and the bike hadn't been touched for decades before I restored it...the pipe went upwards as a basic form of oil trap and then came down to deposit oil vapour on the primary chain..Although directly in contact with crankcase pressure, there only ever seemed to be gentle airflow without puddles of oil everywhere. The engine had been rebuilt however, so with a worn engine with greater crankcase pressure there might be a problem which might ?? be why the outlet is normally found blocked off.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2008 at 06:58 by alwyn »

Offline Alan

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2008 at 23:33 »
Re Engine breather...found a slightly better picture if anyone is interested in making up an auto-oiler for the primary chain..the bike was a TS but managed to find a genuine period  flywheel clutch conversion assembly.  On a different subject and about the starting issues, has been noted by previous correspondents but to repeat that if the seal(s) between the inlet manifold and the cylinders are not sealing properly then starting can be a real pain....A friend of mine was working on a TS for an owner and just wouldn't start or run properly until he spent a fair bit of time getting these seals to work correctly...

« Last Edit: 12 May 2008 at 06:59 by alwyn »