Author Topic: 4 speed gearboxes  (Read 5317 times)

Offline Edin

4 speed gearboxes
« on: 31 Aug 2007 at 20:20 »
Hej all.- I need a little help about a 4 speed gearbox with handchange.
I have a four speed gearbox with number 6Q/220 on top - and number45 on bottom of endcover. The box is very
rough, and unground outside and inside. Inside is missing a bearing for the layshaft in the houseend.
In the coverend is there an ordinary Douglas ballbearing,- but in the houseend for the layshaft is there only a
small hole, for a very small bearing - maybe a needle or rollerbearing.
What is it for a gearbox - but most of all, what is it for a bearing there is missing?
Regards Edin DK.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: 4 speed gearboxes
« Reply #1 on: 07 Sep 2007 at 02:43 »
Edin,

From the prefix, it is a 1938 four-speed box. But the basic design should be pretty much the same as any of the four-speed gearboxes from say 1932 to 1938, with variation to the shell casting depending on if it were for a side valve or an overhead valve.

I have seen the insides of a 1932 SV and a 1934 OHV version of these boxes, and as far as I can recall, the lay shaft has a ball bearing at both ends. Are you sure you are not mistaking the position for the shift cam drum? This has a ball bearing at the cover end, and a plain bronze bush at the other (housing) end.

-Doug

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 07 Sep 2007 at 22:09 »
Edin sent in this photo and note.

Quote from: Edin
Hej Doug

Thanks for reply - sorry, the lay shaft is only fittet with ballbearing in cover end, as shown on enclosed foto. Thanks for help.

Regards Edin DK

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 08 Sep 2007 at 15:36 »
Edin,

It looks like someone has removed the ball bearing for the layshaft at the housing end, and substituted a bronze insert (the item with the four small holes) in its place.

Not sure why; it could be they were too cheap to buy a replacement ball bearing, it was not obtainable, or the original ball bearing had spun in the housing, wearing the bore oversize.

In any event, the bush with the four small holes is a later repair. It should be removed and the condition of the bore in the housing investigated to see about reinstating a ball bearing. Also, you will want to check the journal on the layshaft, as if they have been running it directly in a bronze bush, it may have now worn under size and no longer be a light press fit in the ball bearing.

As the layshaft is running about 2/3rds engine speed all the time, and lubrication is heavy oil/thin grease, I do not think I would want to rely on a plain bearing for supporting the layshaft. You could use a needle bearing, but I doubt that the case hardening on the layshaft journal is sufficiently hard and deep enough, so you would still need to install an inner race on the shaft. I do not recall what size the ball bearings were, but I do not remember them being all that difficult to get.

-Doug