Author Topic: EW Flywheel Question  (Read 8431 times)

Offline davebarkshire

• Vintage Motor Cycle Website (and some music)
EW Flywheel Question
« on: 10 Aug 2007 at 17:08 »
Now that the wheels are away and the oiling is understood and the fuel system repaired I'm thinking about the flywheel clutch. Having read the section in the owners guide I understand the layout only slightly better.

So just looking at it there is a large nut on the outside which moves easily. If I unscrew this nut will most of the mechanism come apart? Do I need an extractor to dismantle the clutch or can I live without one?

Any pointers/comments/advice would be appreciated. 8)

Offline Ian

• Master Member
Re: EW Flywheel Question
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2007 at 22:49 »
You will need some sort of extractor to remove the flywheel so you can get at the clutch plates, cam, etc.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2007 at 00:55 »
All the 'guts' come out the back, after removing the large diameter sheet metal plate held on with six countersunk flat head screws. So you will need to pop the flywheel off the crankshaft taper.

The large nut you are turning threads in or out to vary the compression on the six clutch springs. The stud that it is threaded on is not the end of the crankshaft, but part of the crankshaft nut. If you remove the bit you are turning, you will see the hex for the crankshaft nut down in the recess of the flywheel hub.

-Doug

Offline davebarkshire

• Vintage Motor Cycle Website (and some music)
« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2007 at 10:47 »
I've had an email from Chris Wright who is considering having some flywheel extractors made up. If there is anyone else out there who would like one then maybe we can have a batch made up? Now is the time to speak!  :P

Offline sidecar willy

« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2007 at 14:28 »
Flywheel extractor...must be worth its weight in gold.. Count  me in for one.

Bill

Offline Rob

« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2007 at 22:19 »
Count me in as well.

Thanks.

Rob

Offline Rousie

« Reply #6 on: 02 Sep 2007 at 16:42 »
I've had an email from Chris Wright who is considering having some flywheel extractors made up. If there is anyone else out there who would like one then maybe we can have a batch made up? Now is the time to speak!  :P

Hi Dave,
Please count me in on the flywheel extractor.
I could do with one.
Cheers
Colin

Offline bazza

« Reply #7 on: 03 Sep 2007 at 09:32 »

Hi Dave,
Please count me in on the flywheel extractor.
I could do with one.
Cheers
Colin
Hi Count me in     Bazza

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: 03 Sep 2007 at 10:27 »
A batch of flywheel extractors is being manufactured and delivery should be by the end of October. However, these are being made under the auspices of the London Douglas Motorcycle Club's Pre-1939 Spares Scheme and supply will only be possible to members of the LDMCC. I am aware that some of those having said "count me in" are members of the Club but due to anonymity of members of the Forum it is not certain that all are. Non members of the LDMCC owning a Douglas should consider membership of the Club if they wish to take advantage of Spares available within the Club's Spares schemes.  Chris.