Author Topic: Douglas 1930 S6 crankshaft and oil pressure indicator  (Read 6518 times)

Offline Michael Scott

• Born again motorcyclist.
Can anyone tell me how the S6 big ends are lubricate?

I cannot trace an oil path from the pump to the big ends

Also can anyone let me have a drawing or picture of the "oil pressure indicator" that sits on the top of the crankcase; directly in line with the feed to the crankshaft plain main bearing and feed to the cam shaft soindles

Regards
Michael
« Last Edit: 03 Aug 2007 at 22:21 by Doug »

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Douglas 1930 S6 crankshaft
« Reply #1 on: 02 Aug 2007 at 02:53 »
The oil leaves the vane pump located in the sump, and flows through a removable gauze filter, located in a separate well to the rear of the pump. From there it passes to the top of the sump, and through a gallery to the engine casting, and thence a vertical drilling in the rear wall of the timing chest. There it divides, and some of the oil passes on to the timing side bearing of the crankshaft, which is a plain bronze bush, which is also the pressure feed to the crankshaft (which is why it is a plain bearing rather than a ball bearing like the 350 and 600cc EWs and the OHV models.) The rest of the oil feeds the cam spindles as you noted. To get to the point where the circuit divides, the oil must lift the plunger of the indicator a little more than a quarter of an inch. This indicator rod resides in the vertical drilling mentioned in the rear wall of the timing chest. There is a pretty good illustration in the Care and Maintenance of the T6, S6, S5, C/31, D/31, E/31 Models handbook; reprints are currently available.

A picture of the oil indicator follows, I will post some dimensions tomorrow-

-Doug

Offline Michael Scott

Re: Douglas 1930 S6 crankshaft
« Reply #2 on: 02 Aug 2007 at 08:27 »
 :) :)Many thanks I look forward to the dimensions
Michael
« Last Edit: 03 Aug 2007 at 22:22 by Doug »

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Douglas 1930 S6 crankshaft and oil pressure indicator
« Reply #3 on: 03 Aug 2007 at 22:33 »
You will just have to wing-it with the internal dimensions for the gland space. Short of un-soldering it (if indeed that is how it is held together), I can not get in there to take measurements. But I doubt the precise diameter and depth is that critical, after all presumably it just gets a bit of packing material. There is something in there that gives a bit when poked with a bit of wire.

Larger version at 300dpi that is more suitable for printing here.

-Doug

Offline Michael Scott

Re: Douglas 1930 S6 crankshaft and oil pressure indicator
« Reply #4 on: 06 Aug 2007 at 16:36 »
 :D  Many many thanks.
I am a bit stalled on the Douglas while solving a gearbox failure on my Vincent Rapide gear box.
Should be on the case next week
Tnaks again
Regards
Michael