Author Topic: 1913 2 3/4 hp Douglas hub  (Read 5236 times)

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
1913 2 3/4 hp Douglas hub
« on: 19 Jul 2007 at 06:56 »
I am trying to help out a friend (and forum member) who is looking for wheels for his 1913 2 3/4 hp Douglas.  He has been told that these are different from 1914-on wheels which are all either the same or at least very similar.

I have this front wheel, but my question is: is it Douglas? And if so, is it correct for 1913?

Details are:

Axle diameter 5/16"
Hub body diameter 1 1/4"
Width between cones 3 1/2"
Width between outside of spoke flanges 2 3/8"
Spokes 36 x 13g
Rim to suit 26x2 tyre

A major distinguishing feature is the lock ring arrangement, which is the same on both sides. The outer ring has 3 external notches for tightening, while the inner cup has two drilled holes, but not symmetrically arranged.

If it's not Douglas, any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Leon

« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2007 at 07:33 by Dave »

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
Re: 1913 2 3/4 hp Douglas hub
« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2007 at 07:24 »
Well it looks like this wheel (in the post above) is not Douglas, despite the similarities in the hub layout.

The advice I have is that up to and including 1912, hubs were from Chater Lea, and from 1913 on the Douglas hubs (which are very close in design to the Chater Lea hubs they replaced) are all either identical or very similar right through until the mid 1920s.

Still on hubs, I found this one in a pile of Douglas bits I have been sorting through. It has screw-on dust covers on both sides. I assume it dates from the mid 1920s?

Sorry about the chrome - it wasn't me! I'm not sure if these late hubs had Douglas stamped on them originally, but if this one did the plater has removed it.

Does anyone need it? If so, please make an offer. I'll put it on the "parts for sale" board. (Added Sun 19 Aug: I've had a couple of offers so it looks like the hub is sold.)

Leon

« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2007 at 23:19 by cardan »