Author Topic: Control levers  (Read 189 times)

Offline Marcus

Control levers
« on: 01 May 2024 at 22:09 »
I recently got these control levers with some other parts. They are not suitable for my TS but are they likely to be correct for other Douglas models. I presume they are more likely to be for late 1920s early 1930s bikes. The clamp is for a 1"diameter handlebar.

Thanks
Marcus

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
Re: Control levers
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2024 at 22:42 »
Nice lever. Yes this is the Bowden No. 413, one of the best-made double levers of the 1920s and widely used on good quality bikes. Properly assembled the two levers work quite independently with the screw on top adjusting the friction. If you're going to use a double lever it helps to have one where the levers stay where they are put!

There were several versions of this lever: inwards and outwards opening, and some (mostly earlier) with an ebonite knob on the end rather than the all metal lever.

Most Douglases in the 1920s used double levers that came with their AMAC carbs, mostly the veteran style T30HD, but sometimes the big bulky thing that AMAC used 1920-22. The racing RA used all Bowden levers, but used a twist grip for the throttle.

Cheers

Leon