Author Topic: TS gearbox grease riser and cap - now SOLD  (Read 477 times)

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
TS gearbox grease riser and cap - now SOLD
« on: 07 Nov 2023 at 04:33 »
SOLD thanks

I assume this is one of the parts described in this thread: https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?topic=9203 The thread at the lower end is 1/2-20 BSCy.

It screws into the top of a 2 3/4 gearbox (not sure if it's 2 or 3 speed; not sure if they're the same), I think to clear the frame so you can add semi fluid grease well clear of the frame lug.

Has some surface rust, but threads and hexagons good and ready to screw into the gearbox of your original TS.

I have thrown it into my box to go to the Bendigo Swap Meet this weekend. $A20 + postage (or collect at Bendigo).

Leon
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2023 at 01:33 by cardan »

Offline Alan

Re: TS gearbox grease riser and cap
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2023 at 04:56 »
My CW has a similar fitting, but with a larger screw on top to make pouring in semi fluid grease a bit less mucky ( in theory)!

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
Re: TS gearbox grease riser and cap
« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2023 at 05:11 »
Hi Alan,

Ah yes... that's a screw-down grease cup. You fill the cup-shaped lid with grease, refit it, and as you screw it down grease is forced into the tube. Inside there is usually a spring steel clicker that engages in a series of detents, to calibrate the screwing down process and to stop the lid from unscrewing.

I've also seen OB-style grease nipples (Tecalemit, I think) fitted at the top so you can use a grease gun - very modern, except you need a special slide-on fitting for your grease gun.

Cheers

Leon