Author Topic: Eric's S1 Douglas racer - some history  (Read 5695 times)

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
Eric's S1 Douglas racer - some history
« on: 17 Sep 2013 at 23:14 »

I came across this photo of a cut-down S1 racer in the September 1982 issue of Exhaust Notes (Vintage MCC of Victoria). I assume it was taken some time in the period 1978-1982 by Dave Dumble.

The bike looks much the same these days, but some history of the bike recorded in 1982 by Dave Dumble might be of interest:

"I first saw the bike at an exhibition in Adelaide in 1978. It was owned then by Alf Tofts, but it has changed hands several times since then, and is now owned by Mick Matterson... All I know is that it was adapted for racing by Bluey Stewart of Gawler [just north of Adelaide]..."

I had a quick look in the papers, but although Len Stewart was a crack SA speedway rider, I doubt he and Bluey are one in the same person. Perhaps Eric knows more.

Leon

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
Re: Eric's S1 Douglas racer - some history
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2013 at 09:30 »
Hello Leon,

Mick Materson approached me in about 1981 to view the S1 and at that time I had no idea he would part with it. Eric Bourne therefore purchased it from Mick soon after. It was only a matter of weeks and some Douglas parts were offered via a trading post for 2 issues. I rang the number and the bits were delivered to where I lived for $100. I recognised what I thought to be an incomplete S1 with a very rough side car all of which had be bull dozed in the San Soussi tip. This bike was later recognised by a previous Sydney resident as an S2. I submitted this story on forum some months back.

regards Alan.

Offline Dirt Track

« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2013 at 19:04 »
G,day all.
I think reason Mick was selling his bikes is that his son was killed riding and that put him off motorcycles.
Howard.

Offline franky

« Reply #3 on: 01 Oct 2018 at 01:50 »
Eric still has the bike. Chatting over a cup of tea now-1 October 2018.  The bike runs and was run during the
2018 Bathurst rally at Easter. The cut down fuel tank limits the fuel capacity and therefore has a short range.
The only modifications done on the bike as pictured is the replacement of the forks, wheel and brake assembly from a '26 EW. The BSA forks and wheel fitted was a 20" and the brake was very small.