Author Topic: Douglas Get Together Qld  (Read 14301 times)

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
Douglas Get Together Qld
« on: 25 May 2007 at 09:37 »
Hello All        The Burnett Area (Bundaberg) Branch of the HMCCQ is having a Vintage and Veteran Rally in Biggenden on Sat18 and Sun19 Aug . What we are trying to do is to get as many Doug owners to turn up and help celebrate the centenary.   The runs are to be run on mostly quiet roads  with very slight hills (suitable for all mounts)  Biggenden is 3 hours drive north of Brisbane via Woolooga . For interstate visitors  5 hours north of Goondawindi via Chinchilla,  and probably a little less Tenterfield ,Warwick, Toowoomba. Most rally entrants will camp on the sports reserve or showgrounds,  depending on final selection of venue. (hot shower etc both venues). A tolerant council early arrivals or late departure no problem .Town has all facilities including ATM.   I am not an organiser of this event,  my only part is to throw the doors open on the Saturday for a walk through of my Doug and other collections. Bring a Doug or any other eligible machine or just front up as a visitor. Any one interested in attending  can contact Ross Inman on 07 41579689.   Dont know if he has email  But you can  also contact forum member trewblu. Geoffs landline o7 41572551.  regards Al
« Last Edit: 26 May 2007 at 23:55 by Alan Cun »

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Douglas Get Together Qld
« Reply #1 on: 03 Jun 2007 at 06:51 »
Though not advertised as a Douglas event specifically, I think a good turn out of Dougies up in QLD at this event would help spark interest in a reoccurring and nomadic Dougie event in the various AU states either annually or bi-annually (much as discussed after the farewell dinner of the Australian Douglas Centenary Rally at Moss Vale.) And too if you want to see a wide range of pre-thirties Dougies, Alan's Dougie emporium is a must see. It will give all the Douglas owners up there that found Moss Valve a little too distant (how could you have missed out on such a great event!) a chance to meet up and do some Dougie networking.

-Doug

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 03 Jun 2007 at 08:18 »
Thanks Doug for your comments, I am still waiting for the Club Branch up here to give it the boost it needs via our club newsletter.  All we need is for them to ask all club Doug owners to attend to celebrate the centenary.  Pity I cant take the Tracker and other bikes and give a few test rides but the clubs are so insurance scared, they are up in arms when you fire up an unregistered bike.  Went through some old pics last night of days at the Lakeside Raceway, and remembered the days of sidecar racing.  Often my mates 8 year old met us at the pit entry to sit on the tank and throttle it back to the pits, and many times I was the chaffeur with around 8 kids from 3 upwards crowded over the outfit for a ride around the pits.  Wouldnt the organisers have a fit today, insurance, insurance, insurance.    Al

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2007 at 08:55 »
Hello All    Yes the dates are confirmed, Hope you can read the attached flyer. Make it a Doug weekend bring along your unregistered or restoration project for display.  Rally will be run on mostly quiet roads some only carry about 5 cars per hour. Twenty Dollars includes camping, sunday breakfast, smoko and lunch.   Like I mentioned come a day early leave a day late no problem. regards Al    all phone numbers need 07 if ringing from interstate

« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2007 at 09:07 by Alan Cun »

Offline bear640

« Reply #4 on: 09 Jul 2007 at 07:09 »
Well Alan.... i got a roadworthy cert. today for my B29 so i,ll be there!!

Just been taking it on short rides out the road sorting out a few teething problems, but if anything goes majorly wrong at the rally, i know where to look for some parts :)

Shall see ya there.

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 09 Jul 2007 at 09:31 »
yes well wish I could tell you all the trusty steeds I had planned to start up were raring to go,  unfortunately a dispute between residents and council is putting me up to my armpits in paperwork. Havent had an idea on how many Dougs from Geoff.  Anyway unless I knock off a councilor and end up in alternative accomodation, the sheds will be thrown open on the Sat arvo. And yes dont miss this opportunity I have almost decided to pass on all other than my Doug collection to new owners (vehicles, horse drawn impliments, australiana,sewing machines, etc)      Al
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2007 at 10:14 by Alan Cun »

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jul 2007 at 10:27 »
Hello All, In 3 weekends time the event is on Geoff needs an indication of those attending. The cold weather seems to have dissapeared and it should be quite pleasant. I have to support a car event on the Sat morning but will be back in time to throw the doors open. Those only coming for the Sun will also be able to have a walk through if needed on Sunday. My place is only a short walk from the camp area.  Al

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: 12 Aug 2007 at 11:44 »
Have been sssured by my mate on council the sports ground showers will be ready for early bird arrivals on Friday, A fairly successful auto spectacular has just been carried out this weekend and the residents are eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Vintage and Veteran Bikes on the weekend.  The Caravan Park has been overflowing all last week but the sports area is OK. Most requirements in town including ATM at BP sevo. Premium unleaded at both servos. Dont think I am going to need a wide angle lens to photograph all the Dougs but heres hoping.   Al

Offline bear640

« Reply #8 on: 15 Aug 2007 at 09:44 »
You never know Al.
Been sorting out a few teething problems with my B29. Hopefuly i can have a w/end with only minor hiccups.
Was talking to Des L today , we gunna bring an extra Dougie just incase one of us breaks down.

See you on saturday

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #9 on: 19 Aug 2007 at 05:06 »
Hello All, Well I can only guess that the enthusiasm to run a national event for another National Douglas event wont be in Qld. Seven Dougs only arrived at the event to celebrate the Centenary one being a spare mount and one ineligible being a T35 although a very interesting mount and very welcome. The accompaning pics show the 3 E29s that ran well for the Sunday Run. A B29 that still needs sorting and Geoffs TS that was still not performing due to getting very hot. Sat was a run to a historic bridge followed by a walk through my Doug collection and other collections of vehicles, horse drawn vehicles, Australiana, and the resident Owl watched on. A similar event will be run next year for Vintage/ Veteran but probably in another location (Gundiah). regards Alan

« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2007 at 07:35 by Alan Cun »

Offline bear640

« Reply #10 on: 19 Aug 2007 at 20:47 »
May be the threat of a w/end of rain dampend the enthusiasm of some riders but it turned out a great couple of day for those who attended.

At least i covered the run route ( even if it was in the back-up ute)  :D

What a great collection you have Al... i would die for 1/2 the gear you have collected in your sheds.

Thanks again to Wide Bay area for a great w/end.