Author Topic: 2 3/4 HP front brake blocks  (Read 6739 times)

Offline Black Sheep

2 3/4 HP front brake blocks
« on: 12 Feb 2013 at 07:41 »
Any idea where I can get front brake blocks for a 1913 2 3/4 HP? The existing ones are worn out and don't do very much to slow you down. Backs of car can approach so fast these days - any improvement welcome! 

Offline phil_h

Re: 2 3/4 HP front brake blocks
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2013 at 10:54 »
I'm using a pair of old bicycle stirrup brake blocks per side.
You have to hunt for an old-fashioned bicycle shop to find someone who understands what you are looking for, but they fit ok, don't show up unless closely scrutinised and stop better than any original stuff !
Take your block holder and old block along as a pattern and look for some understanding in the eyes of the bicycle shop guy !

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2013 at 18:01 »
A nice lump of mahogony from a chair leg sorted my rear rim brake if I was attempting to try using my front brake (brave fellow) I would get a line to the VMCC they have some brake material they sell.It  might be just the ticket. If it works and you dont vault the handlebars or loose the front end please let us know then I may get up some courage and try myself. :o

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2013 at 18:12 »

While refueling an early motorcycle one day a man came over to talk bikes. His father had worked for Gard Bros, the Douglas agent here in Adelaide, and his first job as a lad was ... removing the rim front brakes from new Douglases and throwing them away! We had no law demanding two brakes here.

Leon

Offline phil_h

« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2013 at 21:13 »
Strangely, I rather like using a friction material that doesnt require massive pressures before it does anything.
Call me strange, but I think of it as a friendly thing when I dont want something to move, that it works with me, not ignores me until its almost on fire.

They didnt bother with brakes on the front that did anything much back in the day because the roads wernt anything much either, so 'trials rules' were the order of the day, and your back brake was king. I dont know about you, but I dont get much opportunity to go trialling on my 1913 2.75 :) (GoE excepted, as there are a couple of roads there that dont have much surface left ;) )

I also like to fit things that are designed to work in that application, unlike the vmcc brake material, which is designed for an application that does not work very well, ie a 'trailing' rim brake. In that direction its fine. However, they dont advertise it like that, so you can also try and use it in a 'leading' application too, where it will grab so hard with little effort that it stops the wheel turning. I had to convert my 1913 2.75s rear from leading to trailing to get a brake that gave me some control.
I certainly wouldnt want to ponce around carving some of that into the pokey little shapes that fit into stirrup blocks when you can get some blocks that are spookily made to do the job.
If anyone knows where i can get some of the harder resin brake material, I'd like to carve myself a new block and go back to a leading application, as it definitely helps when you are trying to lock everything up when arriving at a junction too fast.
Modern traffic does not understand veteran machines, and takes no prisoners, so we have to adapt or get bent !
I'd rather you all adapted and didnt get your nice machines bent, so they survive for another generation to enjoy. Wood is for things like furniture, sheds and fires, not brakes.

Offline Black Sheep

« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2013 at 19:36 »
Next month there is a vintage bicycle jumble locally - I'll nip along there and see if I can pick up some appropriate brake blocks. When I put the Douglas back on the road last year, it had to have an MoT test. My friendly local tester put it on the brake rollers and it did, to my surprise, get a pass on the brakes. As mentioned traffic is scary. It's the awfully polite car driver in front who stomps on the brakes to let a pedestrian cross who gets me muttering rather impolite words. Tsk tsk.   

Offline phil_h

« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2013 at 20:08 »
My wife and I are getting ready for the Pioneer next month, and you're right, its the way people in front - including bikers - stop so suddenly in front of you ! Brighton is absolutely the worst place ! I  have almost ridden my 2.75 duggie into the back of my wife's 2.75 enfield so many times that I know its going to be expensive one day.

Offline Black Sheep

« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2013 at 17:46 »
Well, I finally found some compatible brake blocks - Feridax 144 - in amongst a job lot of bicycle brake blocks. They are 1/4" shorter than the tragic remains they replaced but they work! The perfectionists may mutter but I have kept the originals against the day the Dougie gets put in a museum - not in my lifetime. 

Offline olesuffolkbuoy

« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2013 at 12:52 »
Have just checked the VMCC web shop and indeed, they have quite a selection of pre-manufactured brake blocks and a selection of slab materials.
There is even a Douglas rear block for post 1918 machines.
Tony

Offline Black Sheep

« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2013 at 18:09 »
Yes, had a look at their web shop. Shame there's nothing for 1913 machines! Still, a slab of brake material and a band saw should solve that.