Author Topic: 1914 Douglas Wheels. What size of balls and how many?  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Alistair Huddleston

I think parts list shows 1/4” but the ones that were in the tin with the hubs, spindles etc were bigger.
Does anyone have a diagram of how the hubs assemble? I assume one cone comes in tight and the other one is locked with the ring?
Many thanks

Offline Hutch

• Master Member
Re: 1914 Douglas Wheels. What size of balls and how many?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2021 at 01:48 »
Hi Alistair, welcome to the forum!,

Until I read your post I had not realised the balls for the hubs on the 2 3/4 HP were listed as 1/4". All the hubs I have seen have eighteen 5/16" balls in them (9 each side). The Handbook of the Douglas Motorcycle 2 3/4 H.P. 1925 lists the ball size as 5/16".

The cups and inner screwed dust caps usually have "L.H." and "R.H." marked on them to indicated (obviously) left and right hand threads. You have assumed correctly that the R.H. cup screws all the way home in the hub and the R.H. inner dust cap is screwed onto the exposed thread. The L.H. cup is then screwed into the hub and adjusted correctly, then held in place by the lock ring. The L.H. inner dust cover is then screwed onto the end of the L.H. cup.

The inner dust covers have a "TO UNSCREW" direction arrow on them but it is quite often hard to see or has been worn off completely due to use.

The outer "tin" dust covers and the washer to lock the axle to the fork are quite often missing.

I have not seen 1/4" balls used in the 2 3/4 H.P. hubs. Also it does not appear that the balls are listed in the early parts lists (i.e. pre 1922). Maybe a forum member has experience with 1/4" balls in these hubs?

Cheers

Ian

Images converted to linked files - Dave, 13Jul2021
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2021 at 09:24 by Dave »

Offline Alistair Huddleston

Re: 1914 Douglas Wheels. What size of balls and how many?
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2021 at 07:34 »
Many thanks. This is most helpful