Author Topic: 2 3/4 Carburettor slide wear  (Read 4645 times)

Offline JLO

2 3/4 Carburettor slide wear
« on: 26 Mar 2010 at 08:47 »
Hi John is my name a new member from Melbourne. I am currently working on 2 2 3/4 dougies and both of my carburettor slide assemblies are very worn. Are there oversize slides available or what other methods of rectification can anyone suggest. Thanks JLO

Offline Chris

• Master Member
Re: 2 3/4 Carburettor slide wear
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2010 at 11:19 »
Hi John
    I have never seen new replacement slides for AMAC or Douglas carburettors let alone over-size slides. The wear is usually a combination of wear of both the carburettor body which tends to become barrel shaped and the slides themselves. It depends upon what type of carburettors you have but generally speaking regardless of type to do the job properly one needs to set up and skim the bore of the body to get it round and parallel. New slides can then be made to fit. The AMAC type with offset coaxial slides are quite tricky but I have made them quite successfully. The earlier carburettors with bucket type slides can have the skirt machined off and a new skirt soldered on retaining the cast top of the bucket slide with its cable retention slot etc. Chris.

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2010 at 21:30 »
John, Alan Graham in Sydney is a good contact for doing carbies - 02 4632 7202

Offline JLO

« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2010 at 22:14 »
John, Alan Graham in Sydney is a good contact for doing carbies - 02 4632 7202
Thanks for the number I will give him a call.