Author Topic: New to Douglas  (Read 4622 times)

Offline classicbike99

New to Douglas
« on: 17 Jul 2010 at 17:34 »
Hi, well having always wanted a flat tanker today was the day that I took the plunge. But I now need help to ID my bike.
I have some numbers but cannot find an engine number. Frame No K5927 on the front of engine is  WK On the right hand side of the engine is WD/2 with a back to front E
Gearbox LG44829 it is a 2  3/4 hp Does this make sense to anyone. I am sure that over time things have been changed i.e engine/g,box.
I have looked at the link re dating Douglas bikes and am still no further forward. The bike is in good all round order and I would describe as better than oily rag. I intend to ride as is and restore for a while. It has a belt drive, pushbike type brakes to front and block to rear.  It is 2 speed with a change High Low on tank. There is no kick start so take it that you paddle/push to start. Is there a secret in starting . Re the oiling there is a drip feed and a push oiler on tank is there an oil pump that pushes oil in to the driper?  There is a reg number on bike butI dont have any books. Any help please Thanks Robert

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: New to Douglas
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2010 at 03:25 »
Robert,

Welcome to the marque! The engine number should be on the crankcase, just above the base of the rear cylinder. The frame number may be 5927 with the 'K' the remnant of the superimposed DK trademark that Douglas used. If so it would be a 1912 frame. That would be early though not impossible. More likely you are missing a numeral to make up a five digit serial number and it as a WW1 bike or later. The transmission would date from 1921-ish onwards, when they started using the 'LG' prefix. Douglas made the 2-speed clutch-less model right up to the end of 2-3/4hp production in 1926.

The hand pump feeds to the oil sight glass (dripper) and then enters the engine at the base of the front cylinder via a one way valve. There is no automatic pump. You pull the hand pump plunger all the way out, and it returns slowly via a compression spring, forcing oil through the dripper at a rate determined by the needle valve on the sight glass body. Ideally at a rate to keep the engine well lubricated, without introducing too much oil and overpowering the piston rings and just making a lot of smoke.

-Doug

Offline classicbike99

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2010 at 05:55 »
Hi Doug thanks for reply. Yep you are right the frame number is 595271. I cannot find the engine number I have searched the casings above and side of the rear cylinder to no avail. The WD I refer to is on the timing case so may relate to the mag.
I will try and up some pics.  I take it that I pull out the oil plunger and it goes in on its own, How often should this be done or should it be pulled once it returns all the time. Thanks. Robert

« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2010 at 11:51 by Dave »

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jul 2010 at 03:40 »
Robert,

O.k., so a 1923-ish frame with a replacement trans from a similar model a year or two older. Douglas cataloged a WD/21 (1921) model, and while I have not found an advert for a WD/23, presumably this is an extension of that.

I have circled where the engine number ought to be, but it does look like the boss is smooth with nothing stamped on it.

Oil pump. Yes, once it returns to the tank under the influence of the return spring, you pull the plunger out again. There are a number of posts advising on the rate of 'drips per mile' that you should be able to find with a search.

-Doug

Offline classicbike99

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jul 2010 at 08:09 »
Thank you for your help. I will try and get it started some of these days.
Robert