Author Topic: No gearbox number  (Read 3347 times)

Offline steveale

No gearbox number
« on: 08 Oct 2015 at 02:53 »
the "original" gearbox I took off my 1913 has no numbers on the gearbox flange where you normally see them.  It has an "A" in the top of the gearbox but no other markings what so ever.  Any ideas?

I have a spare that I purchased, it is 25,xxx which I think places it somewhere around 1915 if I read the "Identifying Tables" correct on this site.  The guts and case of the blank and the 1915 are identical.

Just curious...I know on my WLA that harley made a bunch of blank cases for spares.  Wonder if this gearbox is similar or did they just fail to mark one at the factory? 

Offline kev

Re: No gearbox number
« Reply #1 on: 08 Oct 2015 at 10:25 »
not just Harley Davidson but most manufacturers produced engine cases without numbers...
my understanding of the motor company  policy.....you had to send in your damaged case(s)  and they supplied a new one...same numbers
 that was 70,s at least...  makes real sense when they didn't have frame numbers until the70,s...??
 I have a 1970 ?? A65 with the field stamping on the number boss...(has the bigger cylinder base studs) but no numbers banged in at all...likely bsa and turnip did the same ...but just left the legals up to their dealers
 I reckon that's why you occasionally find some legal but wonky looking stamping
probably easy enough to do on a bench in the factory..but a bit of a mission on a complete bike...

still lookin for an axle length for a 26 ew...and hope fully a picture to work out  the spaces...
all I have is the forks..and an empty wheel hub

Offline carl denton

« Reply #2 on: 08 Oct 2015 at 11:02 »
hi

I will be home on the 16th October I can take tome pictures then if it helps ?

yours carl

Offline kev

« Reply #3 on: 08 Oct 2015 at 21:24 »
carl

that would be a big help mate...
  right now working on that L shaped bolt for the crankcases...