Author Topic: Fuel additives and starting stationary motor  (Read 4729 times)

Offline gsx1100s

Fuel additives and starting stationary motor
« on: 28 Jun 2016 at 00:37 »
Hello all , I hope this finds you well. Does anyone have any advice as to additive for petrol for my TS ( if required at all) . Also how do you start your motor if its not attached to the rear wheel (work being done in frame at moment) , priming advice also welcome !  :)

P.S. what is the best way to drain the sump , as the timing chest side seems to have little effect in emptying oil from drain plug ( bottom left corner of chest )Thanks in advance
Michael
"My first car was a motorcycle"

Offline Black Sheep

Re: Fuel additives and starting stationary motor
« Reply #1 on: 06 Jul 2016 at 05:51 »
For fuel additives - I use premium grade petrol with a splash of 2 stroke oil to give the top end an easier life. In the UK we are suffering from ethanol being added to the petrol with a number of interesting consequences.
Premium grade = less ethanol, 2 stroke oil = some corrosion protection. You should see what cheap petrol with ethanol can do to a carb if left for a while...

Offline gsx1100s

« Reply #2 on: 06 Jul 2016 at 09:07 »
Thanks so much for the advice ! Will use a splash in the tank from now on.
Kind regards Michael

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 06 Jul 2016 at 23:41 »
Michael, there should also be a crankcase drain plug at the front of the crankcase - the one in the timing chest is meant to drain excess oil from the timing chest - it should allow a certain level to build up to keep the gears lubricated. In general though you should only need to occasionally drain the crankcase as the TS will burn off excess unless its being really over-oiled.

Luckily here in OZ we do not need to run ethanol base fuel so don't have the same problems as the UK. A bit of two stroke oil in the fuel never hurts though. The TS will burn oil anyway.

As for starting Graeme and I once started a project bike at a rally using an electric drill with the socket attached to the gearbox belt pulley nut !

Re priming just tickle the carb till its wet at the top.

Offline Alan

« Reply #4 on: 06 Jul 2016 at 23:49 »
I think I mentioned the below some years ago when quite a few ( adverse) comments were made about the dreaded ethanol. A search using the forum's excellent search function should flag these up..
My previous company used petrol engined cars set up to run as well on much cheaper LPG with strict instructions from the car leasing company that the cars should use a full tank of petrol at least once a month as they were aware of ethanol induced corrosion issues especially in static systems..One driver in my office didn't do this and sure enough after only a year, had to have his entire Holden Commodore petrol system replaced ..

Offline gsx1100s

« Reply #5 on: 07 Jul 2016 at 02:25 »
Thanks Ian and Allen for your advice. As always in your debt.
Regards Michael

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 07 Jul 2016 at 02:42 »
By the way - the drain at the bottom back of the timing chest should be a pipe not a plug - with a bit sticking up inside to set oil level

Offline gsx1100s

« Reply #7 on: 07 Jul 2016 at 07:41 »
Hi Ian would it be to much to ask for a photo of the pipe you describe ? I'm unsure as to how this sets oil level . Thanks so much
Cheers Michael