Author Topic: Douglas TS fuel tank  (Read 3400 times)

Offline Brett.Wade

Douglas TS fuel tank
« on: 27 Jun 2016 at 11:01 »
Hi

I have 2 x fuel tanks for a model TS, early 1920's, they have a few cracks/leaks on the welds which I would like to repair.
Does anyone know what the seems are welded with originally, it looks like lead????

I want to know what material this is before I hit it with the oxy.

cheers

Offline ian scott

Re: Douglas TS fuel tank
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2016 at 11:39 »
The tanks are soft soldered. Careful with the oxy acetylene. I'd be using a large soldering iron.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2016 at 06:24 »
Yes, don't go anywhere near it with the oxy/acetylene torch! A large copper bit (soldering iron) is what you need, and make sure you use the correct soft solder - tinman's solder is much better than plumber's solder. Having said this - you will probably have less hassle making a new tank than trying to seal up the old one - just use the old tank as a donor for fittings. The original tanks were made from soft soldered tinplate around .028" thick.
  Regards,
               Eddie.

Offline carl denton

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2016 at 12:01 »
hi mate
don't try and solder them up yourself , I have had a go at it my self and given up . I now send all my tanks to a very helpful bloke in Carnes if you send me a personal msg and I will give you his contact info .

yours carl   

Offline steveale

« Reply #4 on: 01 Jul 2016 at 04:31 »
several clamps and some thin plywood strips.  as you solder it's going to want to pull apart, use clamps and wood strips to maintain seams as you solder.