Author Topic: woffle box exhaust  (Read 808 times)

Offline flea

woffle box exhaust
« on: 28 Aug 2022 at 23:33 »
 2 questions .. 1/ have a woffle box exhaust for my 47 t35 project  , from what i can see from the box on my running t35 it seems to be held on by the header pipes and 2 tabs bolted onto the box and the other end of the tab sits on top of the bottem rail of the frame (one on ea side of frame) , the tabs not even welded onto the frame .. is this right or is there some other mounting points , the one on my running bike seems very solid ... 2/ anyone know where the term woffle box came from

Offline EW-Ron

Re: woffle box exhaust
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2022 at 01:41 »
2/ anyone know where the term woffle box came from

Back in the early days, very mildly tuned motors went woffle woffle woffle as you decelerated ?

When tuned up, with copper pipes to turn glorious colours, they went pong pong pong.
So were known as pong boxes ...

There may be other explanations ! ?

P.S. Norton Commandos with peashooters went tweet tweet tweet on the overrun.
Not surprisingly, they were tweety mufflers in slang.
Not all of them do it, so there is some science in the baffling ... ?
Or is that baffled science ...

Offline DJS

« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2022 at 09:13 »
2 questions .. 1/ have a woffle box exhaust for my 47 t35 project  , from what i can see from the box on my running t35 it seems to be held on by the header pipes and 2 tabs bolted onto the box and the other end of the tab sits on top of the bottem rail of the frame (one on ea side of frame) , the tabs not even welded onto the frame .. is this right or is there some other mounting points , the one on my running bike seems very solid ... 2/ anyone know where the term woffle box came from

Hi Flea,

That’s exactly how the woffle box is mounted. There are no other fixings.

All the best,

David

Offline flea

« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2022 at 23:03 »
thanks ron and dave , got asked that question about the box the other day and didnt have a clue so good to know as most probably will be asked many times in the future , also for piece of mind its good to know thats all the fittings needed to hold the box on ...surprised though, thought had to be a hidden bolt somewhere as on my running bike its very secure

Offline giz.neal

« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2022 at 21:24 »
Hi,

You should have 2 bolts fitted to the pipes which then fit to welded tabs on the frame, it's this combination that holds the whole lot secure.

Steve

Offline flea

« Reply #5 on: 01 Sep 2022 at 05:19 »
thanks found the tabs