Author Topic: Douglas Ⅾ31(S6) engine blow  (Read 842 times)

Offline yoshimasa negishi

Douglas Ⅾ31(S6) engine blow
« on: 04 Feb 2022 at 15:08 »
Douglas Ⅾ31 engine blow

Hi
I started repairing 600㏄ D31 in Japan.
I broke the engine badly.
It is necessary to make some new parts such as timing gear shafts and breather timing discs.
The most serious damage is the hole where the timing gear shaft of the crankcase pierces.
Abnormal uneven wear of the hole, cracks in the intake side hole.
These need to be repaired by laser welding.
I have three questions.

・ Is the bush of the hole where the timing gear shaft is inserted properly press-fitted to the case?
・ Is the timing gear shaft press-fitted into the bush or is it a float?
・The bolt holes marked with red circles are not high enough for the plate.
Is this height correct?

I like driving 600㏄ Douglas.
No matter how long it takes to repair it.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Douglas Ⅾ31(S6) engine blow
« Reply #1 on: 04 Feb 2022 at 19:42 »
The damage in your engine looks to have been caused by incorrect engine assembly.  When rebuilding it, build up the bottom end along with the inner primary chaincase and tighten the through studs from the left hand side BEFORE fitting the timing chest. That way, the crankcases and chaincase will be firmly clamped together, and the cam followers securely clamped in place in the timing chest. The length of the hexagonal centres of the through studs determine the position of the outrigger plate that supports the cam spindles and carries breather disc. Quite a few S/T6 engines have suffered damage to the pillar that feeds oil to this plate and the cams - if a modified outrigger plate is made so that it picks up on all 4 crankcase studs, the oil can be fed through a separate quill from the shortened pillar. Once all the valve gear is re-assembled, the timing cover can be re-fitted with the nuts just tight enough to retain the cover.  Assembling in this sequence makes sure all the working components are secured to the crankcases - rather than floating around on the studs and dragging the cam spindles out of the crankcase, and also prevents unneccessary loading of the timing cover.

Good luck with the rebuild,
                                          Regards,
                                                       Eddie.

Offline yoshimasa negishi

Re: Douglas Ⅾ31(S6) engine blow
« Reply #2 on: 08 Feb 2022 at 14:05 »
Hello Eddie
Thank you for your kind advice
I understand that your explanation requires careful assembly of the timing chest.

I have a new question.

・ Is the cam spindle in the original state of being press-fitted into the bush?

Thank you

Yoshimasa