Author Topic: pull off cam gear pinion T35 / 80+  (Read 844 times)

Offline douglas1947

• Master Member
pull off cam gear pinion T35 / 80+
« on: 26 Jan 2022 at 05:37 »
With dismantle the engine of my purchased 80+ engine I was not so happy to find the drive gear pinons of the cams and magneto missing.
Yesterday I have tried to put the engine apart.

Unfortunately someone had broken off a srew in one of the 2 theads (1/4" BSF) (for extracting the pinion) of the cam pinions.
Is drill out the only option to pull off the pinion?
May be someone has expirience.

Michael

Offline douglas1947

• Master Member
Re: pull off cam gear pinion T35 / 80+
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2022 at 05:39 »
A closer view of the pinion.

Offline phil1

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2022 at 09:02 »
Hi Michael, I suspect your cam gear is seized onto the shaft causing the extractor bolt to break. I would suggest you will need to apply some heat from a gas torch onto the gear wheel and use a small two legged extractor at the same time it should then release. Regards. Phil1.

Offline douglas1947

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2022 at 09:48 »
When pulled off the left pinion I had to remember, there is a difference in the timing cases between standard T35īs and the Pluses!
There is less space in the Plus timing case. So it is not possible to free the pinion complete from the camshaft. It is necessary to split the crankcase and pull off the camshaft from crankshaft side.
So I did, and drive out also the camshaft with the damaged puller srew bore in the (warmed up) pinion. So the repair is easy now.

Phil, thanks for your advice.

There is a damage in the timing case on the oil pump side cam. The engine was run with a damaged tappet (broken off rotation plate!). This causes an ugly ex cam and a destroyed timing bushes + crankcase!!!
I have to think for an idea.

Michael