Author Topic: EW350 - numbers made and an id ?  (Read 1142 times)

Offline EW-Ron

EW350 - numbers made and an id ?
« on: 28 Apr 2020 at 02:48 »
Following on from a recent thread, does anyone have a feeling for just how many EW350s were made in 1926 and 1927.
Trying to pin this down anywhere, it all seems to go a little vague ??
With talk of number sequences ending in YE10,000 and YE20,000 - were all these numbers made ?

And, I'd always assumed my EW350 was (late ?) 1926.
Its got the 2 pipe oil system, the 4 stud mounted gearbox, and non detachable heads and footboards.
But, its numbered as YE 22 7xx.
Where would this put it ?

And where would one find the frame number ?

It came with only one wheel - which seems to be off a 600 model (much larger sprocket teeth than is useable ? )
I've since found both the detachable splined brake drum type, and the spokes through the brake drum type.
Which is correct.

Thanx.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: EW350 - numbers made and an id ?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2020 at 22:50 »
Surviving frame numbers range from MF466 to 23031, and glancing through the LDMCC machine register I do not see any obvious one thousand wide gaps indicating they skipped a big block of numbers. There is no evidence anywhere else Douglas resorted to that trick to inflate numbers, like some other vehicle manufactures did.

The definitive 1927 feature is the transmission clamping to the frame tubes, rather than studs through a platform. At what frame number these started, I don't know. Douglas did not change the frame prefix code, but kept on with the old one. The MF12000 number in the model ID guide is an approximation based on the LDMCC Registry. While there are some reported as 1927 models prior to that mixed in with the 1926 machines, at that number the date changes pretty much solidly to 1927. Again, there are some exceptions; and it is dependent on the owner having correctly reported the date.

For engines it is even more murky! The single pipe oil system barely made it out of late 1925, as is my understanding. The majority were retrofitted with the 2-pipe oil system under warranty. Any engine after YE6500, or YE6417, according to source, had the 2-pipe system. So yours is far into the later oiling system. It sounds like your engine, or at least the crankcases, are c1928-29. The A29 being the last year for the 350EW in flat tank guise. No reason why that engine could not be in an earlier, 1926, frame. The frame number is on the saddle lug, right-hand side, on the lug for the down tube.

The detachable spline brake drum was introduced on the B28 and C28 models, where as the A28 (and A29) continued on with the old non-detectable drums. The wheel assemblies were interchangeable.   

-Doug

Offline EW-Ron

Re: EW350 - numbers made and an id ?
« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2020 at 08:19 »
Thanks Doug, thats all quite helpful.
I think I need to get this out in the sunlight for a good look for the frame number
and gearbox number, and we'll see whats what from there.
It wouldn't surprise me if it was a bit of a mix ...