Author Topic: 1928 500 DT piston replacement  (Read 2586 times)

Offline OCTypeCanada

1928 500 DT piston replacement
« on: 03 Feb 2018 at 22:07 »
In the rebuilding of a 1928 DT 500 cc engine, the pistons will need to be replaced.  Has anyone found suitable replacement pistons for such an engine that they have used successfully?  I am aware the JP Piston (now known as Nornda) in Australia has a replacement that will/should work.  I did want to ask the group of their experience before moving ahead.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Gord

Offline RA23

Re: 1928 500 DT piston replacement
« Reply #1 on: 04 Feb 2018 at 20:39 »
OC Type, Honda CB 350 or XL 175 pistons 64 mm standard also available in increments of .010'' oversize. Gudgeon pin 15 mm
approximately 3/4 mm smaller than Douglas 5/8 ''.
You will need to do the usual valve to piston clearance check maybe a little off the top ring upper land but they are made for the job so liitle work needed. There are after market suppliers on Ebay USA and they are a really good product . I use .0025 ' clearance for the front cyclinder and .003'' for the rear and in our tropical climate ,( hot that is ) I have not had any issues with these pistons. In earlier times at our local Lakeside Raceway I consistently revved it to 7,200 rpm with out any problems.
Kawasaki also do a similar piston which I have bought but have yet to use. They also do a Z1 piston that suits the 600 ohv motor.
 So get busy on Ebay dial in 64mm pistons and go for it
Be in touch if you need any more information on the pistons
Sorry cannot help with an OC gearbox but I do have one to suit an OB.
Good luck,
Bob Barlow   RA 23.

Offline OCTypeCanada

Re: 1928 500 DT piston replacement
« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2018 at 23:49 »
Bob, can you send me pictures of the gearbox and measurements across its mounting studs?  In your experience, is it usable on the OC Type?

Gord