Author Topic: 2 3/4 Gearbox problem.  (Read 2618 times)

Offline Lyn Jones

2 3/4 Gearbox problem.
« on: 12 Sep 2017 at 11:00 »
I have a 1920 2 3/4 which seems to have a gearbox problem. It is a 3 speed box and when in first gear the drive seems to grab intermittently giving a very jumpy ride. All other gears are good and smooth which eliminates a clutch issue. I can't seem to find a good clear photo of the internals of this box. I do have a manual but it's not very clear.
Can any of you Douglas experts enlighten me.
Thank you.

Offline Hutch

• Master Member
Re: 2 3/4 Gearbox problem.
« Reply #1 on: 13 Sep 2017 at 23:31 »
Hi Lyn Jones,

Here is a cross section of the 1915 onwards 3 speed with cork inset clutch. should be fairly close to your 1920 3 speed (except for the clutch). I have a 1920 3 speed in pieces and can take pictures of the internals  - let me know what you need.

cheers

Ian

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 13 Sep 2017 at 23:38 »
Hi Lyn Jones

Having had this problem with a 3 speed box on my 1914 3 1/2, can I suggest that you check that the rod to the gear box is adjusted so that it is positively getting into the low gear. I had to bush all the link points to ensure maximum travel in the change lever. This cured the box jumping in and out of low gear. I also had a similar issue in top gear, but that turned out to be the dogs being worn on the two gears, they needed undercutting to lock together properly.

Hope this helps.
Cheers, Graeme

Offline Lyn Jones

« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2017 at 19:52 »
Hi Hutch and Graeme.
Thank you for responding and the section drawing. I have now had the gearbox apart and found that the dogs were worn. I did as recommended and undercut them slightly which seems to have cured that problem. It now jumps out of second gear and I may need to reset the linkage. I will keep you informed of progress.
Thanks again.