Author Topic: Clutch is not working properly  (Read 2611 times)

Offline PAUL F

Clutch is not working properly
« on: 14 Aug 2014 at 20:21 »
help me please. from a new member .I've just bought a beautiful 1951 Mk 5 but she wont go into gear any gear! . it's as if the clutch is not working properly .Clutch lever doesn't spring back straight away
can anyone help me.
        PAUL From Leeds UK

P.S. what is the layout of the gearbox is it one down three up ?

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Clutch is not working properly
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2014 at 06:31 »
Paul,
       The clutch mechanism has three rollers that run up ramps. They sometimes get stuck so that they don't easily run back. Try removing the inspection cover on the nearside of the bellhousing - inside you will see one of the rollers - try applying a little oil to the roller and to the top of the cam (this will eventually drain around the cam and lubricate the other 2 rollers). Also check that the clutch cable is fitted with a return spring - this is just a light compression spring fitted over the cable between the cable adjuster and the operating lever to assist it's return. Even without the lever self-returning, you should be able to put the bike into gear, lift the clutch and then rock the bike to and fro to make sure the clutch actually frees - the plate could just be stuck due to lack of use. The gears are one up, three down.
  If the clutch still doesn't free, it may be fitted with early generation asbestos-free linings which have been known to give off dust that tended to jam the 6 sliding pins through the flywheel. In this case, dismantling and a good clean is the only option.

Regards,
               Eddie.

Offline PAUL F

Re: Clutch is not working properly
« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2014 at 16:35 »
Thanks Eddie You're a lifesaver
All The Best
PAUL