Author Topic: DT/SW Carb Ident  (Read 4010 times)

Offline zacgrief

DT/SW Carb Ident
« on: 15 May 2012 at 11:33 »
I have been in touch with Amal for carb spares and they ref everything through type but they cant ident mine through my description or numbers which are stamped on them. I have attached a couple of pictures, can anyone help?

They are the needless type maybe classed as a track carb?

Cheers

Zac

« Last Edit: 16 May 2012 at 21:16 by Dave »

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: DT/SW Carb Ident
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2012 at 12:03 »
Zac,
       The carbs on the DT/SW models were made by AMAC (the forerunners of AMAL). Some years ago, Burlen Services took over the production of AMAL products, but they may not have inherited the early records from AMAC days. Unfortunately, there is precious little (if anything) that is easily interchangeable between the AMAC and later AMAL carbs. The AMAC carb bodies I have are marked up 15MDX and have a choke diameter of 15/16" - the bore for the choke block and slide being 1 1/8". These bodies are for the normal setup with needles - I know some of the carbs without needles used choke blocks and slides of a larger diameter.
     Hope some of this helps,
                 Regards,
                             Eddie.

Offline zacgrief

« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2012 at 12:16 »
Eddie,

Thanks, these are AMALs and the guy at Burlens was quite helpful but he needed the number off the body and what I had didnt match anything he had. I had innocently hoped to ring up and be able to order a gasket set but I guess I will be scrating in my fibre washer box for some time yet!!

Regards

Zac

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2012 at 01:42 »
Zac,

The advent of the small airbox DT seemed to coincide with the transition from AMAC to AMAL carburetors. The SW used the type 6/001 without any air slide (enriching valve.) These bodies may also be stamped GA and GB followed by a four digit number.

The DT used the track racing version, most likely a variant (solder on inlet instead of bell-mouth) of the type 26/ with the air valve to the side of the mixing chamber; this was a continuation of the AMAC design. The type code will be stamped at the outlet.

Otherwise it will be an AMAC, the most common type fitted being the 15MDX as Eddie stated.

-Doug