Author Topic: Saddle mattress springs  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Hamwic

Saddle mattress springs
« on: 16 Nov 2020 at 20:55 »
I have peeled the remains of the M32 saddle cover off, and found this underneath. I am guessing the Aero elastic is a "Make -do-and-Mend" repair, but the nose plate looks a bit crowded to get any more springs in - even with the wire loops.  The fact that there are no front mattress springs at all is a bit of a surprise, and not something I have seen before. Is this another weight-saving Douglas mod, or maybe not even a Douglas saddle? Either way, as it all fits and I shall make it work somehow. Perhaps rider comfort wasn't top of the list at the time!

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
Re: Saddle mattress springs
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2020 at 22:46 »
The saddle is a Lycett "Aero" - so the elastic is original and the springs are repair.

I would certainly be period for 1932, so might be original? You can buy new elastics - try British Only AUstria.

Cheers

Leon

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2020 at 01:29 »
Douglas were probably using Terry saddles at that time. Indeed, it was the non-payment of Terrys & Sons Ltd other suppliers that forced Douglas Motors (1932) Ltd into receivership in the summer of 1934. What the c1932 Terrys saddle looked like, and if they used coil springs or aero-elastics, I don't know.

I have the original saddle and (and very crispy) cover for my 1936 600 Aero. that uses the areo-elastics and is a Lycetts.

-Doug

Offline Hamwic

« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2020 at 07:30 »
Thanks for the informative replies - I shall seek out the appropriate elastics and terminals - and try to stay well back on the seat!

Cheers for now
Doug

Offline arturro

« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2020 at 09:14 »
I have original this type of saddle from Lycett .  It has coil springs or aero-elastics. I will send photos at Friday . In my opinion this saddle type was very comfortable for driver

Best regards Artur

Offline douglas1947

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2020 at 16:46 »
I send you a photo of my saddle of a "unrestored" 1930 350cc H3. There is no makers plate on the cover, still the original.

Michael

Offline Hamwic

« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2020 at 21:10 »
Thankyou for the pictures and further information. I'm happy that my saddle is a Lycett. The elastics are secured to the rear frame using large hooks, as found on clothing, and looped through sturdy wire hoops at the front end. The individual cords are actually bound to the hooks using sailmaker's whipping twine. As the hooks and 6mm shock cord are readily available, I shall replace the rusty metal springs with shock cord.

FYI the length of 6mm cord required is about 2.5m, and hooks are UK Size 9, of which 14 are needed.

I have a handy saddle man who lives a few doors away from me, so I will get him to make a new cover for it after getting the frame re-finished.

Thanks once again to all who have commented!
Cheers for now
Doug

Offline arturro

« Reply #7 on: 23 Nov 2020 at 07:05 »
Hello
Some photos of my orginal Lycett saddle.

Best regards Artur

Posts combined and image orientation fixed - Dave, 27 Nov 2020
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2020 at 01:05 by Dave »

Offline Hamwic

« Reply #8 on: 23 Nov 2020 at 16:37 »
Thanks for the photos of the saddle details Artur - I now know what I have to replicate!

Cheers for now
Doug