Author Topic: Fairy Engine on eBay  (Read 451 times)

Offline Red

Fairy Engine on eBay
« on: 07 Apr 2017 at 17:21 »

Below is a copy of an email the club has received for anyone who is interested

Hello there, we are writing to let you know that we will be auctioning on Ebay a very rare Fairy Motorcycle engine from 1905.
We understand that the Fairy engine, the predecessor to the Douglas Motorcycle engine, is extremely rare, one website stating that there are only 4 known to exist in the world.
The auction will begin on www.ebay.com.au  on Sunday 09 Apr, 2017 20:11:31 AEST and the item number will be 262925584671. The auction will run for 10 days finishing on Wednesday 19th April around 20.00 (8pm) Australian Eastern Standard time. Our ebay username is pemajoem.
Please take a look. Thank you very much.
Kind regards,
Tony and Joanne Debono, Newcastle, Australia.

Offline graeme

• Master Member
Re: Fairy Engine on eBay
« Reply #1 on: 07 Apr 2017 at 23:18 »
Another one comes to light in Australia! I think a fair percentage of Fairy engines produced were sent to the colonies

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 09 Apr 2017 at 10:26 »
In the last few weeks my mate has decided that my Fairy motor that has sat on the shelf since the 70s must be put into a frame and made back to what it was intended. It has identification numbers so I assume it to be circa 08. We have decided on a pushy frame dating about 10 but there will have to be some mods to the rear forks for the belt pulley. For some reason the exhaust lifters are missing and the holes welded over and the exhaust cam has the teeth removed. Some problem solving to go that is the small item that changes chain to belt and I think it should have the square tank. No carby at this stage but that can be changed if one turns up.
Another project in the pipeline is a ten motor. I gave away a ten frame years ago but with a surplus TS frame and add pedal gear I am sure I can make the alterations to produce one like the real thing.

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2017 at 09:51 »
Ah the pic of the Fairy gives me a good outlook on the differences to mine. My motor has a distinctive stamped number near the anti barrel rotation thread on the front cylinder and there are casting numbers where the rear push rod passes. A good view of the push rod setup that is missing from mine. What a pity the carb and manifold and lock ring on the front cylinder is missing.
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2017 at 11:26 by Alan Cun »

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2017 at 22:50 »
$8,820!!  :shock: I will have to increase the insured value of mine!

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2017 at 00:12 »

If I owned a decent set of Fairy cycle parts - say an original frame, forks and tank - I could be tempted to pay $8,800 for a motor to complete the project. But that's about the only circumstances I could think of with my financial resources.

Call me old fashioned, but that seems a lot to pay for a display engine, or an engine to fit into a bicycle or reproduction frame. But that said, if someone wants a Fairy motor more than they want $8,800 in cash there's nothing more to say.

Cheers

Leon

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 20 Apr 2017 at 09:06 »
Yes well my good mate that knows how to work Ebay had it down to a fine art but at the end I think we ended up second but gee it feels good to have the money still in the purse. I do hope it has stayed in Aust.
regards Alan
Modified 1020 pm some comments removed.
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2017 at 12:21 by Alan Cun »