Author Topic: MK5 WIRING  (Read 1948 times)

Offline digcot65

MK5 WIRING
« on: 26 Mar 2018 at 07:47 »
Spent some time yesterday checking the wiring , someone has been messing about with it.The horn button doesn`t do anything, until you turn the lights on then when pressed the lights dim and the horn doesn`t work. Also I think the dip switch is disconnected.If I try the horn on a battery it is OK, so a case of checking all the wiring.I can`t see any wire going into the Magneto at the moment so how does the cut out work.I havn`t got the bike started yet, I`m waiting for carb.parts.At least I have a spark on the plugs and good compression so that is one thing out of the way.

Offline digcot65

Re: MK5 WIRING
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2018 at 08:15 »
Now found the battery -ve doesn`t go to the chassis of the bike, so I have to start from scratch and work through.The bike frame has been powder coated and I am wondering if the earth lead from the battery has been connected to the frame without removing some of the  coating. Len
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2018 at 09:33 by digcot65 »

Offline Rex

« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2018 at 09:46 »
But if the "lights dim" then the battery must be connected. The horn is high-current device so it sounds like the battery needs charging/replacing before you get too far into wiring checks.

Offline digcot65

« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2018 at 10:11 »
The horn will only work if the lights are switched on .I also found it I

Offline digcot65

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2018 at 10:19 »
Sorry I couldn`t finish the last message The horn will only work if the headlight is switched on and if I connect the negative side of the battery to the frame, then the wiring gets hot.so someone has made a right cock- up at some time.I have now found that another earth lead has been connected to the frame with a nut and bolt ,but the powder coating wasn`t cleaned off .I think it is going to be best to remove the tank and recheck all of the wirings to get it right.Len