Author Topic: 1927 douglas 600 restoration australia  (Read 6051 times)

Offline Pops600

1927 douglas 600 restoration australia
« on: 01 Aug 2017 at 16:21 »
Hi guys, i recently dragged my grandads 1927 douglas 600 out of my fathers shed and decided to claim it as my own seeing as he hasnt touched it in 22 yrs. It appears that since my grandad restored it 30 yrs ago its gone back to needing a fresh lick of  paint and a few bits and pieces, im wondering who we have on the eastern side of australia to look at the engine or to buy some missing pieces?
The engine was rebuilt but has never started and my dad says its the cam timing..
Its got a broken sight glass for the oil on the rhs and is missing the air intake piece off the carburetor. 
Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: 1927 douglas 600 restoration australia
« Reply #1 on: 03 Aug 2017 at 01:43 »
Timing info for the 600EW - E/F29 models.

-Doug
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2018 at 13:19 by Doug »

Offline Pops600

« Reply #2 on: 03 Aug 2017 at 05:34 »
thanks for that, my grandfather had a heap of copies like this but they were very poor being 30-40 year old copies  :o

Offline Pops600

« Reply #3 on: 03 Aug 2017 at 08:12 »
does anyone have an idea what these bits would cost and wether they are hard to find pieces? id like the correct intake pipe for the carb and the gas tail lamp. i would definatly consider getting them sent over if someone was willing to part with them from a different country.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 03 Aug 2017 at 16:20 »
The hot air intake is difficult to find as they were often discarded. It has been more than twenty years and I am still looking for one for my F28. Likely when I start the restoration up again, I will just make a copy.

The acetylene tail lamp should be easier, since they were an aftermarket accessory used on any make or model. You just have to decide which brand you want (to match you headlamp?) While far more common, lighting sets and accessories are getting very expensive. The CS1 Norton or SS100 Brough Superior owner are competing for the same Powell & Hammer tail lamp you are after and probably have deeper pockets! Also some folk just collect lamps, like they do hood ornaments and radiator badges. So though there are a lot around, demand is brisk.

I need a Brooks B220 saddle for one of my Dougies, but that same item was used on other top end (expensive) makes and models so when one does come up for sale they fetch very high prices. Meanwhile you wait and hope for a stroke of luck. All part of the hunt!

-Doug

Offline Pops600

« Reply #5 on: 07 Aug 2017 at 03:06 »
The hot air intake is difficult to find as they were often discarded. It has been more than twenty years and I am still looking for one for my F28. Likely when I start the restoration up again, I will just make a copy.

The acetylene tail lamp should be easier, since they were an aftermarket accessory used on any make or model. You just have to decide which brand you want (to match you headlamp?) While far more common, lighting sets and accessories are getting very expensive. The CS1 Norton or SS100 Brough Superior owner are competing for the same Powell & Hammer tail lamp you are after and probably have deeper pockets! Also some folk just collect lamps, like they do hood ornaments and radiator badges. So though there are a lot around, demand is brisk.

I need a Brooks B220 saddle for one of my Dougies, but that same item was used on other top end (expensive) makes and models so when one does come up for sale they fetch very high prices. Meanwhile you wait and hope for a stroke of luck. All part of the hunt!

-Doug

thanks for the reply, guess ill be getting one made up also.

Offline zerogrv

« Reply #7 on: 23 Aug 2017 at 19:01 »

I need a Brooks B220 saddle for one of my Dougies, but that same item was used on other top end (expensive) makes and models so when one does come up for sale they fetch very high prices. Meanwhile you wait and hope for a stroke of luck. All part of the hunt! kitchen lola

I read somewhere on this forum you were looking for the same part sometime last year and you had found a solution.
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2018 at 09:49 by zerogrv »

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 23 Aug 2017 at 19:13 »
I read somewhere on this forum you were looking for the same part sometime last year and you had found a solution.

Nope, pretty sure I would remember that! I did make one of the suspension components, and you might be thinking of this post:
https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?topic=6155.msg22723#msg22723

-Doug