Author Topic: 1927 EW Pistons  (Read 3591 times)

Offline LBHill

1927 EW Pistons
« on: 11 Apr 2017 at 01:19 »
Hi all
Wanting to replace pistons,rings in my 1927 EW 350 looking for advice on where to source pistons to suit in Australia have seen info on certain japanese pistons being used with some machining needed if anyone can advise with some help.
Regards L B Hill

Offline george

Re: 1927 EW Pistons
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2017 at 09:34 »
check out jp engineering south australia. i have used their pistons and have no problems.
george

Offline carl denton

« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2017 at 11:26 »
hi
not sure if the info a friend gave me is true , but was informed that JP pistons  only make them in sets of 8 . if you could keep me uptodate as to how you get on as I have also got to get some pistons in the near future .

yours carl.

Offline LBHill

« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2017 at 05:05 »
Ok thanks for info i will get in touch with JP and see what i can find out and let you all know
Regards LB Hill

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2017 at 11:17 »
JP have supplied me with single and pairs of pistons in the past. If you go the JP route, don't take any notice of the small clearance they advise - give them a generous 5 or 6 thou clearance to stop them nipping up

Offline oily bloke

« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2017 at 16:48 »
I used CB750 SOHC pistons to good effect. 2 thou off the top. Radius top edge and ream small end in rod to accept metric pin. I had heard reports of JP pistons seizing due to the materiel used although I do not have first hand knowledge of this. I concluded that Honda pistons from an air cooled Japanese bike should withstand the vagaries of the hot running EW. I have done a couple of thousand miles since I built it and no issues at all. Easy and cheap to buy with rings and oversize readily available if needed.
Hope that helps.
Andy

Offline LBHill

« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2017 at 01:41 »
Sounds like a good way to go with jap pistons i guess best plan would be to remove barrells and have measured to see what oversize is needed any tips on where to sort cb 750 shoc piston kits from.in australia
Reagards LB Hill

Offline oily bloke

« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2017 at 08:07 »
As I am in the UK I have no idea where to get them down under. We have a number of companies that deal in early Honda parts. Dave Silver comes to mind. I am sure someone your end of the world will have an idea as to who can supply.
I used all three rings and put a dribble of two stroke oil in the fuel to aid top end lubrication.
Cheers
Andy.

Offline LBHill

« Reply #8 on: 19 Apr 2017 at 09:33 »
Thanks all good info sounds like the cb 750 option is a good way to go
Regards LB Hill