Author Topic: Mk series frame repairs  (Read 2285 times)

Offline giz.neal

Mk series frame repairs
« on: 15 Jan 2017 at 14:55 »
I have a Mk5 frame with a broken center stand bracket. Not sure about welding as it appears to be a cast iron? lug fitted on the tube at manufacture and then pinned in position. Does anyone have any experience/thoughts/tips on a repair? Shame to loose a matching numbers machine for want of a stand bracket!

Yours in hope

Steve N

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Mk series frame repairs
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2017 at 17:31 »
Steve,
           Douglas made the stand lugs from 2 materials - they could be either bronze castings or malleable iron forgings - and they could be a mix of the 2 on the same frame!. You don't give any details of the damage, but the most common is that the bottom of the pivot hole breaks out - if this is the case, remake the missing part and have it SIF bronzed into place. With the lug repaired, refrain from trying to kick start the bike while it is on the stand. The excess loading often causes the cross tube to twist, making it almost impossible to get the pivot bolt out, as it then fouls the bottom rails of the frame.
  Hope this helps,
                          Regards,
                                        Eddie.

Offline giz.neal

Re: Mk series frame repairs
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2017 at 08:46 »
Eddie,

Thanks for the information, I'll look into your suggestion. I already take care to get bikes off the stand prior to starting!

Steve N