Author Topic: need some measurements  (Read 4760 times)

Offline kev

need some measurements
« on: 13 Nov 2016 at 10:40 »

back on the 26 EW...ready to fit wheels and...other stuff

the width of the forks at the axle slots...???    my rear fork is 171  outside...  I reckon this must be right....this part doesn't look like it would be easy to bend..

the front fork.....the blades are a bit flimsy... and have thrust washers between the pivots....addition removal or different sizes would alter the fork blade width........
  my fork measures 190 outside  at the axle slots..

anybody out there have a set they can measure..

Offline carl denton

Re: need some measurements
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2016 at 11:53 »
hello

did you ever get any idea as to what the correct measurement should be ??

yours carl

Offline kev

« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2016 at 10:27 »

carl

no I haven't received any advice yet  my rear fork measure 6 7/8 on the outside

and the front fork...7 1/2 on the outside  I have original axles  and they will fit both fork sizes as is..   have made new axles...and changed the bearings to ball race....2 on the brake side and one on the other

my left front blade  is straight...right has a neat curve maybe 1/4 - 3/8 bow from upper welded crossbar to axle plate   is this supposed to straight or curve???

Offline carl denton

« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2016 at 11:43 »
hi

I have 4 sets of ew girders and two sets of b29 girders and the measurement's you have sound about wright . the rear frame on the ew are always bent and twisted so its very hard to work out what the measurement's are .

yours carl

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2016 at 17:17 »
Hi,
     I've just found a drawing for the rear stays on the EW - it gives a dimension of 7" to the inside of the lower lugs, and shows dimensions either side of the centreline - 3 1/8" on the RH side and 3 7/8" on the LH side. From this, you should be able to work out the alignment and width across the lugs for the rear wheel.

Regards,
                Eddie.

Online Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 23 Nov 2016 at 00:24 »
The front girders on the EW, A31, etc. are indeed supposed to be bent on the one side to better clear the brake drum. The other side is straight.

-Doug

Offline kev

« Reply #6 on: 23 Nov 2016 at 11:26 »

mateys

thanks heaps for the help..  greatly appreciated..    I don't want to  go bending any original parts
  made my crown nut....just have to take the bent handlebars s out and fit the new set...burleigh bars bent me up a set are pretty much spot on..  made up some bushes to fit my headrace bearings...pretty soon i,ll have something to roll around.

Offline kev

« Reply #7 on: 23 Nov 2016 at 11:27 »

doug..  especially feel better about the bent blade...looked pretty uniform to be an accident