Author Topic: A 32 power and speed  (Read 4229 times)

Offline arturro

A 32 power and speed
« on: 25 Dec 2015 at 10:33 »
Hi
I want to ask about two things about Douglas A 32 from 1932.
 What is a power this bike and what is normal riding speed for this bike.
I will be grateful for answer.
Best regards Artur

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: A 32 power and speed
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2015 at 23:48 »
Artur,

The taxable rating was probably 2-3/4hp, based on the nominal 350cc displacement. However it surely made a little more than that. How much, I have never seen mention by Douglas in their literature. Possibly about 6hp?

A period road test of the identical A31 model gave the top speed of 55mph, with 40mph as an "effortless cruising speed".

-Doug

Offline hoejmark

« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2015 at 15:00 »
Hello Arturro
I have no speedometer on my  B29, but I believe I normally ride at a speed of 50 - 60 Kmh. It can run faster, and I guess 80 kmh (or excess of that) is possible.
I find the machine very easy to handle. It is low and light, and the A32 must be slightly lighter. The engine is slightly over square and very willing to run and to take revs, and be careful about that, it might be more willing to run fast than is good for its own health. Of course it depends on the gear ratios. For many years I ran with following sprockets for the rear chain of 14T at the gear box and 51T on the brake drum. The bike was then very willing about taking revs, and didn’t bother too much about going uphill. A friend asked about number of teeth on the sprockets, and I realised that probably it was too low in gear ratio. This year the ratio has been 16T/51T and it feels a little too high. Straight ahead it is very good but when crossing the "Storebaelt Bridge" uphill and against heavy wind, the gearing was too high.
Next year I intend to change to 14T on the gearbox and 47T on the brake drum.
Soeren

Offline Alan

« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2015 at 21:22 »
Hello there...I'm not sure that an A32 would be lighter ( but happy to be corrected)..I compared my bare B29 frame to an early 30's  2 ¾ frame and the B29 frame was substantially lighter..This was because of the daft UK rules for excise tax where the tax included penalties on bike weight and resulted in many companies using thinwall frame tubing to get around this...After this weight penalty was changed around 1930 ( I think), thicker (and safer) wall tubing was used...Agreed that a B29 will certainly motor on as its engine is substantially more powerful than an EW.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2015 at 02:45 »
The A31 & A32 were advertised as being under 224lbs. This got them just under the weight limit for the special tax concession. I think previously the limit was 200lbs? That turned out to be impractically light. I have not seen a weight given for the B29, and presumably it was considered irrelevant because it did not qualify for the tax concession at that time. The B29 continued on to be the L3 and H3 of 1930. The H3 was the upscale touring version, with foot boards, chromium plate on the petrol tank rather than cellulose, larger section tyres, and heavier flywheel. The catalog gives the weight for the H3 as 240lbs, or 254lbs with electric lighting. Oddly, the lighter L3 does not mention the weight in the catalog specs that I have a reprint of. You would have to guess at the weight savings with 3/4" off the diameter of the flywheel and the lighter tyres; and then you would have an approximate weight of a L3 and B29 I would think.

-Doug

Offline arturro

« Reply #5 on: 02 Jan 2016 at 23:05 »
Thank you for All for answers. This is what I need.
Best wisches for New Year 2016.

Artur from Poland.