Author Topic: 1930 S6 carburettor - help appreciated  (Read 2838 times)

Offline Ian Dabney

1930 S6 carburettor - help appreciated
« on: 02 Jul 2014 at 12:47 »
I have a 1930 S6, with what I believe to be a standard carburettor, that has a worn slide that I am looking to replace. There should be some stamp on the carb confirming what type it is, however I cannot see it? In the 1929 handbook, it states T and S models use a Amal type 5/116/S having a 7/8 bore (choke) 120 jet, 5/3 throttle valve.

Can you confirm this is the correct information. Also what needle jet size is required?

I have measured the diameter of the slide and it is just below 1 inch , I have not taken the carb off to measure the bore.
Help and advice much appreciated
Ian

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: 1930 S6 carburettor - help appreciated
« Reply #1 on: 02 Jul 2014 at 15:25 »
Ian,

Yes, 5/116/S is the correct carburetor. The number should be stamped on the side of the mounting flange, possibly on the back side. The needle is special to this carb, and apparently the needle jet too (both being shorter than normal).

See this post:
https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?topic=3839.msg13882#msg13882

Also if you search this Forum for 5/116/S you will find some other posts that may be of use.

-Doug

Offline aphex

• Douglas S6 1930
Re: 1930 S6 carburettor - help appreciated
« Reply #2 on: 02 Jul 2014 at 17:11 »
Hi,
The 5/3 slide you can find from time to time on ebay, also look out for the 5/4 and 5/5 ( about 9£) as these could be usefull to finetune the carburettor.
The needle slide and correct needle jet can be special ordered direct from the Amal site,a time ago i mailed to Amal about this , and i got a reply that they still had the original blueprints , and that they would make a small batch of the needle and needle jet.5 weeks after the mail i could order them with a special link from there webshop.Price was around 25£ a piece.Super service from Amal.If interrested mail to amal with the question.
Needle jet and needle slide are not so easy to reproduce correctly.And from Amal it is a genuine part.Don't think twice.

Regards,
Sven.