Author Topic: Flywheel Clutch  (Read 3799 times)

Offline Alan

Flywheel Clutch
« on: 08 May 2013 at 03:15 »
 My B29's clutch internals have departed this life and the look of astonishment/disbelief on people's faces when you show them that the
 unleashed power of the 350 cc engine is held together by 12 off  3/32 dia inch rivets is a sight to see...
 With so many of the traditional suppliers now disapearing or gone, I am having problems sourcing these steel rivets/pins...what is the correct length I need to get and any help as to where I can get these in Sydney/Aus or the UK would be appreciated.? 
Ta Alan

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
Re: Flywheel Clutch
« Reply #1 on: 08 May 2013 at 11:52 »
Hi Alan,
I have collected rivets in various sizes over the years - I even have some 3/32" (tiny!) but unfortunately they are aluminium alloy rather than steel. Surely they are only big enough to hold a pressed-steel cover onto something?
Anyway, you can get 100 steel 3/32 rivets at E.J. Winter for less than $10:  http://www.ejwinter.com.au/image/data/0413.pdf
Just cut them to the length required.
Cheers
Leon

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2013 at 12:16 »
Hi
    These rivets in a variety of lengths including the correct length are available from model steam engine suppliers. I bought some at a Model Engineering Exhibition at Alexandra Palace a few years ago. I cannot remember the name of the supplier. I have supplied some to an Australian member of the LDMCC in the past together with other spares when I was the pre-war spares secretary. It is probably easier, quicker and cheaper to purchase them locally in Australia even if you need to cut them to length.  Chris.

Offline bmwmyplace

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2013 at 01:13 »
Hi Try Davro they carry a large range   I bought 1000 ally ones  for my car and didn't cost the earth and yes you might have to buy 1000, but if you are near by who knows what they will do

http://www.davroproducts.com.au/product-information.html?CategoryID=55754

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2013 at 03:29 »
Alan,

I have also used socket hex button head screws. For nuts I used a type of slim self-locking nut found at aircraft hardware surplus. Obviously this depends on what you can source locally.

The good thing about the steel rivets is you can always trim them to suit the job at hand. And a bag of rivets can be cheaper than screws and nuts. The bad thing is you will need to make an offset buck or punch to get behind the sprocket. Otherwise only a few of the rivet heads will you be able to get a square shot at between the sprocket teeth.

Doug