Author Topic: First post - Ignition timing for 1957 Dragonfly  (Read 3663 times)

Offline Croft

First post - Ignition timing for 1957 Dragonfly
« on: 05 May 2013 at 15:30 »
Hi All

I've recently bought a 57' Dragonfly.  It seems to be in good condition, mechanically and cosmetically.  I would like to fit electronic ignition, not sure which system yet but I would like to get rid of the Miller distributor, this seems to be a weak spot in the system.  I have a couple of ideas but what I need to know is the ignition timing, preferably degrees BTDC, (although a linear measurement would be OK) at full advance.  Anyone got that info to hand please?

I'd like to get this sorted ASAP so I can get riding, in the mean time a there are a few minor jobs to do, then a summer of trouble free riding.

Thanks

John

Title expanded - Dave 24th May 2013
« Last Edit: 24 May 2013 at 19:45 by Dave »

Offline chippy

Re: First post
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2013 at 18:52 »
Hi John, The ign timing states 5 degrees in the book using a timing disc. Regards Eric.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2013 at 19:26 »
John,
         The figure stated for the Dragonfly is the static setting, i.e. it is the fully retarded setting. If I was you, I would use the timing figures for the earlier Mark series engines. These were fitted with a magneto, so a fully advanced figure was given - this is 36 degrees before TDC. This will give a good starting point - it may be advantageous to adjust it further due to the changes in the petrol we now use compared with the mid 50's fuel.
      Regards,
                    Eddie.

Offline Croft

« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2013 at 12:49 »
Many thanks for the replies.  I'll give 36 degrees ago and  also try and workout from the 5 degrees retarded what fully advanced is.

I have decided to go for a self generating system so I need not worry about keeping a battery charged during non-riding periods.

John