Author Topic: Mk V silencer support  (Read 4485 times)

Offline Catweazle

Mk V silencer support
« on: 10 Feb 2013 at 15:33 »
Hi all.

Returning to motorcycling after a longish layoff, I have just acquired a Mk V Douglas, very clean, tidy bike, mechanically excellent and started first kick on first acquaintance, so it appears to like me.

However, I am more than slightly surprised that the silencers have no visible means of support, being simply clipped to the ends of the exhausts - which don't appear to be particularly robustly mounted themselves, the silencers having several inches of overhang - and from inspecting photos on the internet, this appears to be a common feature of the flat twins.

Is this satisfactory, do they not fall off?  Would it be advisable to add some tastefully designed supporting brackets?  Or at least never go out without a supply of garden wire?

Certainly such a design feature wouldn't have lasted five minutes on any of my old vertical twins, especially not Triumphs.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Mk V silencer support
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2013 at 23:04 »
Catweazle,

Jeff just asked the same question. See post and replies here:

https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?topic=4772.msg17076#msg17076

Doug

Offline Mike of Woking

« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2013 at 13:17 »
Hi Catweazle,

Do you have a copy of the spares lists for the Mark 1 - 5 ? If not one is available from the LDMCC. All will be revealed on the parts list drawings / diagrams. Not a problem with my Mark 4 as it was provided with the waffle box and so does not protrude much beyond the swinging arm pin. A lot of people make their own brackets and mount them of the rear foot rests (bottom of the tool boxes). Best of luck- get yourself the spares list as you will find this very useful.

Regards,

Offline David Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2013 at 21:58 »
Hi Catweazle,
Regarding the Mk spares book and incidently the manual, as Mike mentions we do have both in stock at the very reasonable price of £8-00 each plus the infamous P&P! Incidently we also supply the Mk1 manual which has very similar content but has added data that is relevant to the later engines.
If you are interested please email me direct we can discuss them.
Concerning your silencers, I think Eddies solution described in Doug's reference is by far the simplest and neatest arrangement. Not too mention the cheapest! It is important that the exhaust pipe to frame clips are well fitted and in good condition.
Cheers
Dave.

Offline Catweazle

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2013 at 23:23 »
Thanks for the replies folks, very informative.

I have already ordered a parts list from BMS, I don't know if it is the same as the one from LDMCC, it was referred to in https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/aa-files/documents/2007/John_H_-_Mark_manual%5B3%5Dahedit.pdf which seems moderately informative.

However, the matter is ongoing, we shall see how things materialise.

Offline Jeffbo1

« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2013 at 01:29 »
The best response given to me on this issue is to drill and countersink a small hole through each muffler flange and into the exhaust pipe , secure with a bevel head screw and cover with the stock clamp....not only will the screw hold each muffler in place permanently but will be covered and out of sight by virtue of the stock muffler clamp....